Active to Passive Pickups On Charvel Model 5FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active to Passive Pickups On Charvel Model 5FX

Hello everyone, I'm going with passive pickups on my Charvel model 5fx instead of the EMG's that are in it now and am looking for advice, suggestions etc.

I have to save up money for the pickups, potentiometers, output jack, capacitors and whatever else is needed and am looking for suggestions and input.

The guitar has a Poplar body with Maple neck-thru neck, rosewood fingerboard. Al this was done to it so far and also had the original floyd rose tremolo and old EMG-81 put back in bridge position:

* The ungrooved nut was replaced with a LSR roller nut
    * New Kahler locking nut installed
    * Custom sleeves around the tremolo springs
    * Orange Drop cap installed (don't know what value?)
    * 3-way toggle switch put in - now it don't seem to be switching the pickups right

I don't know what single coil for the neck as I read something about which way the wiring comes out of the neck single coil could be a problem when installing?

I've been trying to narrow down a list of Trem-Spaced bridge pickups and neck single coils/single coil sized humbuckers for my Model 5FX and this is the list I have so far:

Bridge pickups:

59/Custom Hybrid - Some people said might not sound right?
    Custom 5
    Custom - Some people were telling me this might be too bright sounding in my Charvel?
    Perpetual Burn - Jason Becker pickup
    JB - Some say to use a 250K volume pot with the JB
    Gravity Storm
    AT-1 Andy Timmon pickup
    Tone Zone - Some say might have a boomy low end which I don't want

Single coils:

Cool Rails
    Lil 59
    Classic Stack Plus
    True Velvet

Comment

For me I'd be hard pressed not to restore it back with J-80C or J-90C and a J-100/200. I know the Model 5A came with the J-95, but the J-80 and 90C's just totally kick ass. An old Duncan JB or Dimarzio Super Distortion would be a great choice too. Yeah, I'm old school.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
        For me I'd be hard pressed not to restore it back with J-80C or J-90C and a J-100/200. I know the Model 5A came with the J-95, but the J-80 and 90C's just totally kick ass. An old Duncan JB or Dimarzio Super Distortion would be a great choice too. Yeah, I'm old school.
        Same here.

Comment

Another pickup combination I've been reading up on is the JB TB-4 and Flat Strat SSL-6 pickups. Wonder too what value short shaft pots would work with this combo, 250K or 500K as my Charvel has 1 Volume and 1 Tone pot and what capacitors?

Comment

500k to start out with. if the ssl-6 sounds too bright then you can go down to 250k. but the ssl-6 is pretty warm sounding to begin with so it's probably okay with 500k.

0.022 uF and 0.047 uF are both common. 0.022 will sound brighter than 0.047. all the duncan wiring diagrams show 0.047 so I'd say start with that.

Comment

But what music do you play, what sound are you going for, how much output do you want?

If you want vintagy type stuff, you could just go for a Fishman Fluence Classic, and avoid all the hassle of replacing everything.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                But what music do you play, what sound are you going for, how much output do you want?

If you want vintagy type stuff, you could just go for a Fishman Fluence Classic, and avoid all the hassle of replacing everything.
                As far as what music I play in the covers band I'm with, we play Classic rock/hard rock/80's metal to 90's/early 2000's rock. I also write my own music as well which can be diverse going from progressive to hard rock to modern metal

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post

As far as what music I play in the covers band I'm with, we play Classic rock/hard rock/80's metal to 90's/early 2000's rock. I also write my own music as well which can be diverse going from progressive to hard rock to modern metal
                  Another combo that might be good is a DiMarzio Super Distortion with a DiMarzio humbucking single (Area / Injector etc.). With the ease of getting high gain amp tones these days, you don't really need that high of an output for pickups.

Comment

You can keep the stereo output jack for passive pickups, it's not a problem.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X