Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model 6 serial

Hi everyone !

I recently bought an old Model 6 for a ridiculously low price, but it needs a lot of work to put it back in shape. I was checking the serial, and noticed it reads "D000079". I believed the serials always started with "C" + the last digit of its production year.

Can anyone tell me if this "D" serial means anything special ?

Thanks !

D is a new one to me

Images will help

Originally posted by Lemonheadfr View Post
    I believed the serials always started with "C" + the last digit of its production year.
    correct
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 04-22-2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Here it is, I hope it will help !

Comment

This is just a guess, but maybe "D" stands for Development and 79 is the production number. In other words your guitar may be a prototype.

Comment

Originally posted by workerunit View Post
          This is just a guess, but maybe "D" stands for Development and 79 is the production number. In other words your guitar may be a prototype.
          Interesting theory !! So, maybe a prototype when they switched from Kahler bridges to JT6 ?

Comment

needing to learn how to re-angle the neck between the two.
            D = degrees. Adjust the neck to 79 degrees.

Possible, but doubtful, because they already knew how to do it with the American models.

Also worth noting- with the exception of the few oddballs, Kahler had the serial on the headstock. It didn't go on to the fretboard until the trem switch in 87.
            So, D=Demo would again make sense.

But I find it hard to believe we have not seen a D before if any of the above were true. You know someone would have tried selling the previous 78.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonheadfr View Post

Interesting theory !! So, maybe a prototype when they switched from Kahler bridges to JT6 ?
              Maybe, anything is possible with that "D", and low serial number. "D" for Demo makes sense too.
              Last edited by workerunit; 07-30-2023, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Or maybe they went through all the possible digits after the "C" serial, and started again with a "D", so it would be a very late model ?

Comment

They were 7 characters. C, last digit of the year, then the serial. So, in theory, they only could make 100,000 each year.
                  Assuming they changed the C to a D after 100k, and kept rest the same, a 0 would be 1990, which isn't a Model 6.

Comment

You're right, and now I think about it I've seen 650XLs with "C" serials.

Comment

Can you post pics of the whole guitar? Maybe there is something else unique about it

Comment

What type of locking mechanism is at the headstock? It may provide some insight on when it was made.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Today I saw this one on sale here in France, with a "D" serial. Could it be a serial for the french/european market ?

Last edited by Lemonheadfr; 09-28-2023, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Lemonheadfr; 09-28-2023, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X