Charvel Pro Mod DK24 neck feel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Pro Mod DK24 neck feel

I'm curious about Charvel Pro Mod DK24 guitars. I like the feel of Jackson soloist necks, but I dislike the feel of traditional Fender strat necks.

Do the Charvel Pro Mod DK24 guitars feel more like a "thin" neck like a Jackson soloist or do they feel like that round and thicker Fender strat neck? (please try to not use terms like C-shape or D-shape, that confuses me, I'm asking for how it feels in your hand; how one neck feels relative to the other neck)

Thanks for your help here!

I'm right there with ya... I have been a player for (I can't believe I am about to hit) 40 years. But driving a car doesn't mean changing oil and S-belts. It has only been the last decade that I have gotten into doing "details" and doing some of my own work. So, when these guys talk about some of this stuff like C-shapes, I often get lost and then revert back to "my hand either likes it or it doesn't". I've got 4 decades of playing, not 4 decades of terminology.

So, without using all the tech jargon....
    I haven't played the DK24. Nor have I played the more modern Soloists which have the unfinished necks.
    But I I have had numerous post-2016 era San Dimas Pro Model Style 1 (all with maple boards). And I absolutely adore them. Very much what I expect when I pick up a Jackson.
    I made a point of saying post-2016 (there were design changes) and the maple boards, because I had a 2013 with maple board. It was great, don't get me wrong. But it wasn't the post-2016. The size and shape were slightly different. But then, in traditional maple board fashion, the neck and board were both sealed, which made it feel different and also made it ever so slightly thicker.

So, all that to say: Jackson players will not be disappointed by the post-2016 era San Dimas Pro Model Style 1

Of course, that's not the DK24. And it doesn't even get into the varying options they have (like roasted birds eye) which will make 2 like-guitars feel different.
    But it at least gives a glimmer of hope.

*in an odd coincidence. I had a 2020 Fender Player Series Stratocaster.
    Even though the fretboard was definitely Fender, the neck felt almost as if they were using the Pro-Mod neck. Certainly not what I expect when I pick up a Fender neck.
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 03-13-2023, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Necks thinner and frets are almost 6100 {Jumbo} As a Promod SD they're a bit smaller and the necks are a bit thicker! Best advice is to put one in you're hand's.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
        Necks thinner and frets are almost 6100 {Jumbo} .
        Which is thinner? The Charvel or the Jackson here?

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post

Which is thinner? The Charvel or the Jackson here?
          Jackson, sometimes. IDK about everything. The DK24 is a 90's feeling neck to me. I would not buy another guitar, Well maybe
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
            Necks thinner and frets are almost 6100 {Jumbo} As a Promod SD they're a bit smaller and the necks are a bit thicker! Best advice is to put one in you're hand's.
            I concur with this. All my Pro Mods feel thicker than Jackson or even my older MIJ Charvel necks. I really need to break out the micrometer one day, and see if it's true or just in my head.
            Last edited by Razor; 03-14-2023, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X