Charvel model series question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model series question?

Do you guys know what sort of lacquer was used on the charvel model series? I’m assuming polyurethane but recently have picked up an 86’ in pearl white which has yellowed quite a bit! It looked a lot more white or nice aged white in photos but in person is quite yellow ! Not even a nice deep banana yellow but a gaudy even looking yellow colour. Even under the pickguard, trem cavity, strap buttons etc. I mean how does it age under those items?

polyurethane can yellow even if not exposed

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
      polyurethane can yellow even if not exposed
      Yeah right, thought only nitro did. Next question how hard would it be to remove the poly to expose original colour? Or would it have to be a complete refinish?

Comment

Just to toss this out there -
        You'd also have to make sure you have a white guitar that yellowed, as opposed to having a not-so-white guitar.
        Pictures (I assume from a web purchase) can be skewed because of lighting. I will often times offer flash/no-flash images to demonstrate varying perceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          Just to toss this out there -
          You'd also have to make sure you have a white guitar that yellowed, as opposed to having a not-so-white guitar.
          Pictures (I assume from a web purchase) can be skewed because of lighting. I will often times offer flash/no-flash images to demonstrate varying perceptions.
          Yep from a web purchase. AFAIK the only white the model 3 came in was Pearl white and no other white! It looks white around screw holes where a tiny bit of paint has chipped! I don’t think the pearl white was pure white anyway…
          Last edited by Pjc007; 03-13-2023, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Peal white 86 SD USA

DSC00087.jpg
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Not sure this is any help to anyone, but I had a Pearl White Model 2 I bought new in about 1986 (yes, I'm pretty old) and it had already gone quite yellow by the time I sold it in 1990.

I'm absolutely not the guy to ask about this stuff, but I think if you were to go to the trouble of trying to strip off the yellowed lacquer to try & get back to the original pearly white colour, that doesn't sound much cheaper/easier than having it stripped and repainted altogether?

Comment

Most white Model series guitars I've seen have yellowed with age over the years. It's so common it's considered normal. Any area protected from sunlight, smoke, and other elements is normally whiter. Most people dig the yellowing. It's one of those it is what it is things.

It's weird under the cavity covers, strap buttons, etc... on yours. That would make me think refinished. Did you buy it on Reverb or eBay so you have some type of seller protection, or did you buy it face to face?
                Last edited by Razor; 03-27-2023, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregc View Post
                  Not sure this is any help to anyone, but I had a Pearl White Model 2 I bought new in about 1986 (yes, I'm pretty old) and it had already gone quite yellow by the time I sold it in 1990.

I'm absolutely not the guy to ask about this stuff, but I think if you were to go to the trouble of trying to strip off the yellowed lacquer to try & get back to the original pearly white colour, that doesn't sound much cheaper/easier than having it stripped and repainted altogether?
                  Your probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                    Most white Model series guitars I've seen have yellowed with age over the years. It's so common it's considered normal. Any area protected from sunlight, smoke, and other elements is normally whiter. Most people dig the yellowing. It's one of those it is what it is things.

It's weird under the cavity covers, strap buttons, etc... on yours. That would make me think refinished. Did you buy it on Reverb or eBay so you have some type of seller protection, or did you buy it face to face?
                    On reverb. It doesn’t bother too much as it plays really nice but the colour in photos reflected differently.

Comment

Working...
                    X