Pro-mod neck finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro-mod neck finish

What is the finish on the import Pro-mod necks? The MIM one I played looked and felt raw and smooth. Are they raw or do they have some kind of thin satin finish? I'm thinking about getting a Musikraft neck since I can get the scale I want (24.75") with a 2&1\4" heel. I'm not sure what to do on the finish. Like if I get it raw how do I replicate the finish of the Pro-mod neck?
    Thanks.

One of my pet peeves is that disgusting wax-like clear coat they put on many imports. Otherwise great guitars, ruined.

I can tell you, as far as the MIM goes, it will vary depending on the year. Maybe even varies with fingerboard???
    The 2016-era are... what I consider raw wood. But I am pretty sure there is some kind of protective something on it.
    But pre-2016 MIM had a "but not as bad" version of that previously mentioned disgusting wax-like coating. In fairness, my 2013 had a maple board, and it was coated like most maple boarded guitars are.
    And then in more recent years, they have added things like baked maple and birdseye. I have no idea what those are like.

I would buy the raw wood. It is easier to put something like tung oil on a neck than it is to take off.

Comment

I don't know exactly what the MIM is using, but if you're looking for any kind of "raw" feel, then I can tell you what you're after is an oil finish, just like painoguyy said.

the oil musikraft uses is really great and they do a very professional and even job of applying it. but, it's $60. so, with some time and research, you could do an oil finish yourself for a lot cheaper. if you don't want to mess with that, the musikraft oil job is worth it. putting the oil on and buffing it smooth is not hard at all, but it is labor intensive to get it right, just like with any kind of finish.

another oil commonly used on guitar necks besides tung oil is birchwood casey gunstock oil/tru-oil
      Last edited by metalhobo; 02-13-2023, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Well I just found out those Musikraft 24.75' necks are conversion necks and won't work for me. Thanks for the info though as I may still need to finish a neck depending on how I go with this project.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
          Well I just found out those Musikraft 24.75' necks are conversion necks and won't work for me. Thanks for the info though as I may still need to finish a neck depending on how I go with this project.
          I, too, have about the same opinion as you. It doesn't have to be otherwise. Although opinions may differ after all. I recently did a paper on this, I found http://essaypapers.reviews/ for it. Anything can happen in life and we can't influence some things. We can only adapt to them. This is my personal point of view.
          great
          Last edited by gordonmetcalfes8; 02-24-2023, 03:04 PM.

Comment

My San Dimas and So Cal Pro Mod necks feel like a satin finish. I have a Musikraft neck with a satin finish, and the Pro Mod necks feel the same to me. I like the feel of them myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
              My San Dimas and So Cal Pro Mod necks feel like a satin finish. I have a Musikraft neck with a satin finish, and the Pro Mod necks feel the same to me. I like the feel of them myself.
              Old and warn
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
              X