1st Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Charvel

I just got my 1st Charvel, a Pro Mod San Dimas Strat style. It's a color called chameleon, when I got this guitar I had actually gone to look at a Jackson Soloist Pro series in magenta (I like pink guitars).
    But this caught my eye and ...the neck... wow! I knew in about 2 minutes it was coming home with me.
    Couple questions though.
    1. I thought these were MIM but this says Made in Korea. Really doesn't matter just curious.
    2. The middle position on the pickup selector sounds weird to me. Apparently it uses 2 inner coils instead of 2 humbuckers. What would it take to wire it for traditional switching.
    Thanks

Originally posted by Whorehay View Post
    I just got my 1st Charvel, a Pro Mod San Dimas Strat style. It's a color called chameleon, when I got this guitar I had actually gone to look at a Jackson Soloist Pro series in magenta (I like pink guitars).
    But this caught my eye and ...the neck... wow! I knew in about 2 minutes it was coming home with me.
    Couple questions though.
    1. I thought these were MIM but this says Made in Korea. Really doesn't matter just curious.
    2. The middle position on the pickup selector sounds weird to me. Apparently it uses 2 inner coils instead of 2 humbuckers. What would it take to wire it for traditional switching.
    Thanks
    Congrats on your first charvel.
    1.Some colours are made in korea for some reason.
    2.You will need to change some of the wiring. Its fairly simple but you will need a soldering iron and some knowledge and schematics.

Also what do you mean it sounds weird? If the sound is very thin the coils might be out of phase.

Comment

(I like pink guitars).
      I just sold my last neon pink Charvel on Monday.

You think that's weird... pull the volume knob up. It now becomes the two outer coils.

Originally posted by ed View Post
      Also what do you mean it sounds weird? If the sound is very thin the coils might be out of phase.
      I assume he is talking about the "six pack of sound".

Comment

Thanjs for the replies. I guess what I meant by "weird" is I was expecting 2 humbuckers and I get a single coil kinda sound and with my amp, a Marshall Origin 20 hwad into a Origin 2x12 cab, the settings I use are different for humbuckers and single coils so to just switch gets a kinda weird sound.
        Didn't notice at the store, don't know why. Maybe the different amp, a solid state Orange isn't as affected by the switch.
        i guess my question about the wiring is... will the switch in there now be useable or do I need a different one? Or maybe use it as an excuse to go buy the other amp? lol
        Thanks again.

Comment

I am not a wiring person. Nor would I have my guy mess with the SPS unless I was getting rid of it completely. I like the single coil stuff.
          But I am going to assume that you can do a neck-both-bridge hookup, with knob down. And then knob up can be whatever other hookup you want... currently outcoil bridge, both outer coils, outer coil neck.

Comment

i forgot it had that six pack thing but i think it should be doable. You could get like neck humbucker - both humbuckers - bridge humbucker and then the knob just splits the coils so you would get those strat tones if you want them.

Comment

I agree with pianoguy insofar as if you're going to go through the trouble of rewiring it you might as well get a new 3 or 5 way switch along with the push/pull pot so you can keep the original electronics "intact" in case you want to revert or sell the guitar as original.

or just, ya know, keep the original switching. I never liked the hum/hum middle position anyway, so I'm biased. split coil middle position + roll down the volume knob is such a great sound in comparison, IMO

Comment

Working...
              X