Schaller Lockmeister 6 on a 375 Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller Lockmeister 6 on a 375 Deluxe

I’ve an old 375 Deluxe from way back with a schaller JT-590 on it that has done the usual of rounded saddle bolts (replaced with new ones). I've a couple of threaded bolt holes as well due to the zinc base. I would like to swap out the tremolo with something like a schaller lockmeister 6 but I’m not sure its going to fit in the route. The Schaller website shows the post spacing to be the same but also says;

Compared to the Schaller tremolo, the base plate of the LockMeister™ tremolo moves approx. 1-2mm further forward towards the pickups due to the design.
    You can see from my photo that it looks pretty tight, am I wasting my time with this or has anyone any experience in fitting one to this model?

Breaking out Autocad and a pair of digital calipers and using the Schaller tecnical details, I think ive answered my own question. Blue is the JT-590 and how it sits in the route.

You can see in the bottom left where the arm would be, that theres a clash with the Lockmeister. The new question is do I chisel the corners of the route square....

Comment

The Schaller version of the JT-590 is still available new and will drop right in. Also the new ones have steel inserts in the base for the intonation screws which solves the issue of the threads stripping like in the original JT-590.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
        The Schaller version of the JT-590 is still available new and will drop right in. Also the new ones have steel inserts in the base for the intonation screws which solves the issue of the threads stripping like in the original JT-590.
        Forgot to put the links in.
        Schaller Tremolo | Tremolos | Schaller Webshop

The black ones seem harder to find new on Ebay. Here's a used one from a seller I've bought from before.
        Schaller Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo Bridge Vibrato Black German 34mm | eBay

Chrome or gold seem easier to find.
        Schaller Floyd Tremolo Assembly 42mm Block R2 Nut Chrome 13020242.02 | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
          This

sparkle model 375eluxe.jpg
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

The Lockmiester is a great bridge, I recently swapped a JT-590 for it on one of my soloists, but in my opinion a properly maintained JT-590 or a new equivalent is better. I would just take the advice of those who commented before me and get the replacement instead of something else. Save yourself the time and a few bucks, also the guitar.

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps. I have spoken to a guitar tech nearby who has said he can re-tap the threaded bolt holes and then put a steel insert into it, fixing the issue. So there may be some life still in the old dog yet.

If all else fails, ill swap it for the standard Schaller Tremolo.

Comment

Also you can get the baseplate only if you want to save some money.

Comment

Working...
                X