No announcement yet.

750XL vs 650XL neck profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid color 750XLs are not mahogany and maple top.

I have a 750 and a 650. Necks are about the same.

my 550XL and 5FX have fatter necks.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Solid color 750XLs are not mahogany and maple top.

I have a 750 and a 650. Necks are about the same.

my 550XL and 5FX have fatter necks.
      Only the maple top ones are mahogany (I think that's what you were saying)
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Only the maple top ones are mahogany (I think that's what you were saying)
        The solid colors don't have maple tops, also? I know they used basswood for the ones painted with solid colors, but could have sworn they also had at least a plain maple top on them under that paint.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I read from somewhere they were japanese ash but that could be just lies does ash even grow in japan who knows.
          But i would be interested to see how much the solid colours weigh. My translucent one is around 4kg. Ofc if the solids are ash they can be weighty since there is some heavy ash around.

I checked the current reverb listings and this solid colour one had the weight:
          https://reverb.com/item/63354517-cha...e-red-metallic
          And that weight comes to 3.7138 kg thats is pretty light
          Last edited by ed; 01-05-2023, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
            I read from somewhere they were japanese ash but that could be just lies does ash even grow in japan who knows.
            But i would be interested to see how much the solid colours weigh. My translucent one is around 4kg. Ofc if the solids are ash they can be weighty since there is some heavy ash around.

I checked the current reverb listings and this solid colour one had the weight:
            https://reverb.com/item/63354517-cha...e-red-metallic
            And that weight comes to 3.7138 kg thats is pretty light
            They're were MANY ash body models to come out of Japan... Too many for me to even think of stealth Professional, DR3 professional are just two. I just Know the capped ones were mahogany and why would they cap a solid color basswood guitar, well nevermind its J/C
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

At least one guy here (Budman) stripped one years ago and discovered it wasn't mahogany, pretty much came to the conclusion it was basswood. I thought it still had a separate top, but could be remembering wrong. Wish I could find the pics. Hell, I've got a Carvin 8-string that's maple neck-thru with alder body and mahogany top with two different shades of metallic paint on it, so it's not that unusual to paint over a top.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It was on the audiozone site.Found this on the waybackmachine.
                https://web.archive.org/web/20080215...0xl-guitar.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                  It was on the audiozone site.Found this on the waybackmachine.
                  https://web.archive.org/web/20080215...0xl-guitar.htm
                  That just confirms what I'm saying... Oh the flying monkeys are coming for me

On a side note there are ASH guitars that are MIJ just not the 750, thank you, thank you very much

Comment

Sucks that they don't reissue these or the AT Pro. ESP and Fender HM Strats were reissued, Ibanez RG's too.

Comment

I just actually purchased a solid colour 750XL by a weird happenstance. I bought a pair of J-80C and J50B pickups form a guy on an online site and asked where he got these pickups. He says he got them from his 750XL. Well it wasnt his main guitar so i ended up buying it.

The thing is 700 grams lighter than my translucent one. It weights 3.4kg the trans colour weighs 4.1kg. Also you can see clearly theres some paint chipped from the screw holes on the back and the wood is very light coloured. Could be ash or alder not sure. But the weight leads me to believe if there even is maple cap on it since maple is heavy wood also or is it?

Comment

I thought about considering selling my 750 XL and midnight cobalt but I’m not sure. It’s an 89. It’s in excellent condition. Has the original hard case too.

Comment

Working...
                        X