X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Model 6 refurb

Hi Everyone,
    Glad I found this forum.
    I've had this Model 6 for almost 20 years now and it's finally time to put some work into this thing. https://imgur.com/a/o9TksfE

The volume pots are shot for sure, the rest I have no idea what is working.
    I've never attempted a guitar refurb but I'm hoping to pull it off if I take it slow.

Firstly, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend replacement volume/tone pots? I've bought a couple and neither fit the pre drilled holes. I'm guessing I need 6mm? The two I purchased so far just haven't listed the shaft width. Also I'm unsure of what resistance I should get? 250, or 500k?

Other than that I would love some general tips for a refurb project like this one as it looks like you all have some experience and might be able to help me plan on how to do things correctly.

Current plan:
    - Replace volume pots
    - Replace Pickups
    - Clean up the frets and possibly polish the paint gently if I think I can do it without making it worse.
    - Remove oxidization from jt-6 tremolo if possible.

Thanks for reading! I can't wait to get this beauty back in proper working order.

try some deoxit (d5) spray on the pots before replacing them. likely they just need cleaning.

if you like the sound of the pickups then I would avoid replacing them. of course if you're looking for a different sound, then have at it.

you won't hurt the paint by doing gentle polishing.

Comment

Let me know if you find a good way to polish the paint. My 88 is pretty beat up and a good paint buffing would go a long way for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
        Hi Everyone,
        Glad I found this forum.
        I've had this Model 6 for almost 20 years now and it's finally time to put some work into this thing. https://imgur.com/a/o9TksfE

I've never attempted a guitar refurb but I'm hoping to pull it off if I take it slow.

Firstly, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend replacement volume/tone pots? I've bought a couple and neither fit the pre drilled holes. I'm guessing I need 6mm? The two I purchased so far just haven't listed the shaft width. Also I'm unsure of what resistance I should get? 250, or 500k?

Other than that I would love some general tips for a refurb project like this one as it looks like you all have some experience and might be able to help me plan on how to do things correctly.

Current plan:
        - Replace volume pots
        - Replace Pickups
        - Clean up the frets and possibly polish the paint gently if I think I can do it without making it worse.

Thanks for reading! I can't wait to get this beauty back in proper working order.

3000 Grit sand paper wet (By hand use a block and lightly)! Auto scratch remover( it's a paste at auto parts stores) use a buffing wheel, then use an auto parts polish that hardens Buff then by hand...Done
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
          Hi Everyone,
          Glad I found this forum.

Current plan:
          - Replace volume pots
          - Replace Pickups

Yours has a lot more on it than mine did. All I had was the body and an OFR the guy sold me for extra. I wired it up a little stupid - I didn't know where the tone and boost go so I got them backward. Other than that it turned out killer. I really like the J200 singles with (or without) the boost. I went with a J80C in the bridge.

Comment

I actually quite like the standard pickups, i have them in all my charvels and I find quite well with them! What genre you play?

Also, the last pot should be a booster in theory, as you can see there is the battery holder. So try to put a battery in there and play with the last pot!

Comment

Working...
            X