Charvette Refurb Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvette Refurb Project

I have a Charvette 250 with a CH-120 Single Locking Tremolo. Essentially one like this:

https://reverb.com/item/3415-charvel...ch-120-tremolo

I want to replace the tremolo with something else but it has weird spacing measurements and was wondering if anyone here had experience with swapping out trem bridges for this model without any routing. Any recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks.

No idea. I know the Kahler 2520 "Fulcrum" on the old Model 2 and 3's had different post spacing then a Floyd Rose. If I remember right if someone swapped out that tremolo they went with the Kahler 2700 "Killer". I don't know what the post spacing is on yours but that's where you're going to have to start.

Comment

Someone used Gotoh GE 1996:

https://reverb.com/au/item/13513523-...-charvette-hss
      My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
        No idea. I know the Kahler 2520 "Fulcrum" on the old Model 2 and 3's had different post spacing then a Floyd Rose. If I remember right if someone swapped out that tremolo they went with the Kahler 2700 "Killer". I don't know what the post spacing is on yours but that's where you're going to have to start.
        For the CH-120:

Post Spacing (Center to Center)
        2 3/4 fractional
        2.75" decimal
        69.85 mm

Yeah the 2520 looks about right for the Charvette. The long adjusters at the end of the 2700 would probably require additional routing for the Charvette. Unfortunately, they look like older trem models that can only get picked up used. Most modern day stuff doesn't seem to match up with the CH-120's spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post

Spacing is probably correct but the length of the gotoh definitely would require additional routing on my unit. For reference, mine with the bridge removed:

Comment

Originally posted by Bettershredthandead View Post

Spacing is probably correct but the length of the gotoh definitely would require additional routing on my unit. For reference, mine with the bridge removed:

No idea on that one. I couldn't tell if it was recessed or not. The Model 2 and 3 were not recessed so the fine tuners didn't matter. There's a reason I avoid non-Floyd spec guitars like the plague. Your body doesn't really look like it's recessed although you may have to make the block cavity bigger but I don't think you would have to route out any more as the original doesn't appear to be a recessed tremolo. I've never owned a Charvette so I can only speak on the Model series that are top loaders myself.
            Last edited by Razor; 02-04-2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Get you a kahler like the ones on the transition model seriers.

like this

86 model 2.jpg
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

like this

86 model 2.jpg
                I wondered if one of those would work.

Comment

like this

86 model 2.jpg
                  Sure, those old Kahlers probably would work but tracking one down would be difficult especially these days.

Comment

Sure, those old Kahlers probably would work but tracking one down would be difficult especially these days.
                    Literally 20 seconds tops. There's a reason why the non-Floyd spacing ones bring less money. Less options and not near as good quality and availability as other options out there.

https://reverb.com/item/49772025-kah...tremolo-bridge

Comment

Literally 20 seconds tops. There's a reason why the non-Floyd spacing ones bring less money. Less options and not near as good quality and availability as other options out there.

I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Just reached out to that guy. I'm cautiously optimistic though. A unit that old could have a problem or 2 with it. I mean, I think the knife edges look ok but you never really know until you drop it in. Decent price though. I'm waiting for him to come back with spacing and block measurements. We shall see.

Comment

Dude just got back to me. Said the Kahler won't work/be a drop in. Apparently just matches the spacing of an American Strat 2 pin trem. which it was designed for according to him.:/

Comment

Dude just got back to me. Said the Kahler won't work/be a drop in. Apparently just matches the spacing of an American Strat 2 pin trem. which it was designed for according to him.:/
                            Why don't you look up the spec's on the kahler and find a cheaper in better shape one after you know it will work. I've never trusted a "dude" since the big Lebowski. All the same, Good luck

Comment

Why don't you look up the spec's on the kahler and find a cheaper in better shape one after you know it will work. I've never trusted a "dude" since the big Lebowski. All the same, Good luck
                              Like I said its not going to be easy finding a replacement drop in on so many different levels. The chances of a brick and mortar shop having a vintage Kahler laying around for me to try and drop in are about as probable as the dude himself NOT ordering a White Russian at the bar. Although I never once had any doubt to the character of the "dude" in the big lebowski. Guy seemed ok to me. Besides I have a plan B. Thanks anyway. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X