Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those fruity colors on MIM Charvel

I love my 2016 fruity colors. But here's my question:
    Do you think these will end up being some sort of "sought after" collectible or something?

the colors were used for only a few years, and not all colors were available on all models
    the design of the guitars changed (I like the 16 better than the 13)
    there are currently 0 on ebay and reverb

It was the same scenario for the 2008-2009 USA Production Models. Eight official non-repeating batches of non-black colors alongside some Wild Card colors (documented here: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...46#post2539846).

Due to the recent price hike in the used market for basically all the brands I follow, I've noticed some asking prices for those specific models finally exceeding the original retail price ($999 and $1099). Some are asking more.

It might eventually happen for the Mexican guitars. Who knows when. It's all speculation.

Comment

The question arises because - I just sold one. For what I consider to be an amazing price - like you said, more than when new.
      I didn't have it for sale. I was just talking to someone, and it turns out that he was looking for one, specifically from those years and from a list of certain colors.
      He wanted to buy two, but wanted a better deal than what I was willing to give. Mind you, he wanted X-amount which still would have been a great price. But, between me wanting to keep certain colors, and the fact that the other one was at the other house, I wasn't willing to bend that far or wait until I could get the other one to him.

if I want to keep year X and color X,
      he is looking for year X and color X, and is willing to pay "big bucks" for it
      and there aren't any year X or color X for sale anywhere....

made me wonder if there is (or will be) a 'market' for these things and I should definitely hold on to the others... maybe even that I should go looking for more on the cheap.
      Last edited by pianoguyy; 02-20-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        It was the same scenario for the 2008-2009 USA Production Models. Eight official non-repeating batches of non-black colors alongside some Wild Card colors (documented here: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...46#post2539846).

Due to the recent price hike in the used market for basically all the brands I follow, I've noticed some asking prices for those specific models finally exceeding the original retail price ($999 and $1099). Some are asking more.

It might eventually happen for the Mexican guitars. Who knows when. It's all speculation.
        i feel like I had seen desirable wild card colors of the usa pro mod occasionally go for more than $1k as far back as when the MIJ series was starting up. of course, it's a lot easier to look at the listed price of something than the actual sale price. in any case, now that is more consistent in that even non-pristine or modified versions are listed above $1k, and the mint models are put at $1500 or more.

back to OP's question. I'm sure we all know how troublesome it can be to predict the value of "limited edition" stuff in the future. but OP has the advantage that he's not necessarily considering buying something as an investment, he already owns the investment, so he already knows how "good" the specimen/series is, which is half the equation right there. it's kinda like buying stock you "believe in" even if the market analysis doesn't favor it. if you think the guitar is worthy or undervalued, chances are the market will eventually follow.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
          he already owns the investment, so he already knows how "good" the specimen/series is,

They are killer. Worth every penny I paid and more.
          But considering the amount of guitars I have, and the limited usage that I have for fluorescent rainbows - owning the entire spectrum of colors and models (and multiples of my favorites), would not be in my best interest.

Comment

i very much wish i had a few of the flame up ones i had and the ice flamed one or whatever it was.
            Haters gonna hate
            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I just sold another one -
              a trade+cash deal

The cash was the same amount that I bought it for (used). And then I took a 2020 HSS Player Strat on top of it.
              So, if you think about it, I just got a MiM Strat for free.

Which I find really odd: an old MiM Charvel made by Fender, for a new MiM Fender.

**I actually like this 2020 MiM better than my 2004 USA. It's all in the neck and fretboard. For whatever reason, the Player Stratocaster just fits better.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                I just sold another one -
                a trade+cash deal

The cash was the same amount that I bought it for (used). And then I took a 2020 HSS Player Strat on top of it.
                So, if you think about it, I just got a MiM Strat for free.

Which I find really odd: an old MiM Charvel made by Fender, for a new MiM Fender.

**I actually like this 2020 MiM better than my 2004 USA. It's all in the neck and fretboard. For whatever reason, the Player Stratocaster just fits better.
                I was thinking about getting an MIM san dimas because I too really like fender MIM strats. So, if they are not as good as the fender fuck it. I'll just get a ebony neck for my fender mutt
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I'm not normally one to go for the "fruity" pastel colors either, but I just picked up a mint Pro Mod So-Cal Style 1 in Satin Burgundy Mist.

I also added the White Pearl pickguard. The pic doesn't do it justice.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

As much as I like the MIJ Model and Toothpaste series I have to say I really dig my MIM So Cal and San Dimas models. I have two 2016 Pro Mods in Metallic Black. One is a San Dimas and the other is a So Cal. I also have a 2019 Chlorine Burst Pro Mod. The Chlorine Burst got me back into playing after a 10 year hiatus.I'd love to have one of the MIJ Pro Mods and the early MIM to compare to them one of these days especially the neon colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                      As much as I like the MIJ Model and Toothpaste series I have to say I really dig my MIM So Cal and San Dimas models. I have two 2016 Pro Mods in Metallic Black. One is a San Dimas and the other is a So Cal. I also have a 2019 Chlorine Burst Pro Mod. The Chlorine Burst got me back into playing after a 10 year hiatus.I'd love to have one of the MIJ Pro Mods and the early MIM to compare to them one of these days especially the neon colors.

I too have MIJ model and Toothpaste series, but my MIJ ProMods and Wildcard are my favorites both for playability and tone. I've never held a MIM - I'm a MIJ snob when it comes to Charvels, but every one of my Strats is an MIM and they are just fine.

I don't like the non-quarter sawn necks and the lack of top mounted Floyds that come with more recent MIM Charvels. With Fenders it's a meh having flat sawn necks, and I have a couple with Floyds that are recessed. But with my Charvels I demand better, and they are better.

Oh, and what the hell are the fruity colors?

Comment

the only fruity colors I know are plum crazy, go mango, top banana, and citron yellow

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                          the only fruity colors I know are plum crazy, go mango, top banana, and citron yellow
                          I drive go mango daily. Plum crazy stays in the garage with Toxic Orange and Furious Fuchsia until winter ends.

Comment

Working...
                          X