Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 or something else?

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...64&oe=5F5C5B90

I only have the one picture to deal with until the seller gets back to me. But if you look at the headstock, you see a little sliver of finish, and it looks like there is a serial number on the fretboard - which makes me think it is a neck thru. Which makes me think it is a Model 6.

But then you see little things (all of which could have been changed).
    Like, there is no nut. Just the lock, which isn't even a correct lock. And someone added a string tree.
    The tremolo is obviously not original because the color doesn't match. It looks like a 570?
    No pickup cover on the humbucker (but I've had them come off). Even the case is not correct.

So I thought I would get opinions in case there is some other mystery model that it matches. Particularly since I sold two 6's this week, having a crackle would be a nice addition.

It's a model 6. That's binding on the headstock, same as the neck, so i don't think there's any paint finish you're seeing. These came w a regular nut and behind the nut stringlock, which often was changed w a string tree. Original trem was JT6. This one looks changed to a nonlocking saddle FR, which I'm sure is no good but for the right price would be worth it
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Looks like a Model 6 with a real Floyd nut.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
        That's binding on the headstock, same as the neck, so i don't think there's any paint finish you're seeing.
        under the binding.
        i see what appears to be a slight hint of red.

if i couldn't see that, then i wouldn't even be able to guess if it had been a neck thru or bolt on, which means there's a whole host of other models it could have been.

*thank you to whoever moved this to the right place. the board was very bad last night. i don't know if it was my error or the site's.
        Last edited by pianoguyy; 08-14-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Also noticing that the third knob is a reflector knob instead of a dome knob like the other two. And noticing that the lid of the case has been carved out where it would sit over the trem when the lid is closed.

Damn single-locking trem. If you get the guitar, the first thing I would do is find some locking saddles and retrofit them to the trem. See here: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ject.htm#jt570 Or, replace the trem with a proper double-locking trem.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            Also noticing that the third knob is a reflector knob instead of a dome knob like the other two. And noticing that the lid of the case has been carved out where it would sit over the trem when the lid is closed.

Damn single-locking trem. If you get the guitar, the first thing I would do is find some locking saddles and retrofit them to the trem. See here: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ject.htm#jt570 Or, replace the trem with a proper double-locking trem.
            I have Jackson knobs sitting around for just this sort of occasion. But I'd like to see if the electronics still exist and work before I make plans - maybe just push the two knobs into the cavity, or use the numbered dial for volume.

And the trem - why chrome on that beautiful guitar. Has to be black. I don't think black saddles on a chrome base would be any better. but the base plate would be easier to refinish than saddles.

I've got to get it first.

Comment

man, this site keeps getting worse as time goes on.
              it may be time to save whatever information we need so that it doesn't get lost when the board finally goes kaput

anyhow, back to the guitar

Seller didn't get back to me until I sent a 2nd message clarifying my first message (what pictures I wanted).
              He said that he couldn't sell it to me "today" (this was Friday) because he had someone coming to look at it on Tuesday. But he would let me know if it didn't pan out.
              I asked why the wait, he said that it was his (the seller) work schedule. That was the first they could get together.

I'm ok with that. I mean, if the seller can't meet, he can't meet. It is different if a buyer can't meet.

But, here's the kicker -

About 2 hours later.
              He sends me a message saying it was sold.

WHAT HAPPENED TO "I CAN'T SELL IT TODAY"
              I mean, I was ready to buy it at midnight when I saw it (before I even posted here).

Whatever the reason behind the tomfoolery, I didn't get it.

=============================================

But, that's ok because here's what did happen -
              A few days prior, I had a Model 6 posted for sale (the one that I haven't been able to sell because I am cursed when it comes to a certain color and simply cannot sell them).
              Someone wanted it but wanted a cash/trade combo. I didn't want his trade, but I figured that I would take it just to get rid of this damn guitar. While emailing with him, an all cash buyer came around.
              One guy was 90 minutes away, the other was an hour but in the other direction. And they both wanted this damn guitar that I haven't been able to sell. Talk about odd.
              Obviously, even though the cash/trade guy wrote me first, we were still working out details when the cash buyer came around and he was ready to drive right there and then.
              So, I sold it to the cash buyer. Meanwhile, when I got home (I only meet in public) there was another email from the cash/trade guy. I told him it was sold.
              But I wanted to see how serious he was, so I said to him that I had another Model 6 that I had no intentions of selling, but I would sell it for an all cash deal if he wanted it.
              He bought it.

So, I sold two last week. Buying that crackle would have been real nice, especially at that price, but it didn't happen.
              What did happen was - I bought a Gibson Les Paul. I thought it was a Satin/Faded model, but it was a Vintage Mahogany (which seems to have a higher resale). And I bought a Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIM).

The two purchases didn't even cost me what I sold one Model 6 for.

Last edited by pianoguyy; 08-19-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

All's well that ends well, I suppose. Though I suppose you're primed for the next Model 6 to come around for the right price. 🙂

In the situation where you were the seller, I can see why you accepted the cash buyer first. The cash buyer was ready and itching to bite the bullet faster than the cash/trade guy.

In the situation where you were trying to buy the Model 6 crackle, you were the one itching to buy now, yet the seller did the opposite, which seems irrational.

We've both posted in the same thread (https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...d-used-jackson) so I won't repeat anything I've already said, but I definitely feel your frustration.

Comment

Coming from a sales background, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
                  I've got cash. Here. Today. Now. --- that thing gets sold.
                  It is far better than "I'll be back, do you have a card".

I mean, I fully accept that I wasn't the first (or only) guy looking at it. But I don't understand how it went from "I am too busy to meet anyone for the next 4 days", but it gets sold a few hours later.
                  There's no reason to lie. Just say "you're a schmuck and I don't want to sell it to you".
                  Other than asking for a picture of the non-original trem and nut, I don't think I was too much of a douche.

*Maybe he recognized my name and was still angry that I took "his spot" in band x or I banged his girl 20 years ago. I don't know. Either way, I am Lava Crackle Model 6-less.

Comment

Maybe it was a lemon and you saved a bit of cash. Maybe you were asking the questions he didnt have the right answers or something wrong with the guitar. It is always risky buying a guitar based on just a one picture.

Comment

Is this the one that was on Facebook everyone was yammering about?

Comment

it was on facebook. but i don't belong to the facebook group.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                          it was on facebook. but i don't belong to the facebook group.
                          It was posted up pretty quick with "who scored it". If I recall it was priced insanely low at 300 bucks right?

Comment

Does anyone have a link to that thread on Facebook? Would love to see the reactions and analysis, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                              Does anyone have a link to that thread on Facebook? Would love to see the reactions and analysis, if any.
                              Here you go.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Comment

Working...
                              X