Charvel 750XL Restoration has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 750XL Restoration has begun

I love this guitar and I seem to pick it up the most when inspiration strikes. That said I can no longer ignore the paint issue which is not the wild 80's Zebra styling itself, but the fact that it has a sticky neck that is starting to come off on the guitar stand and even picks up the foam pad of another stand. Not only that but my luthier has confirmed that this is a mahogany body maple top 750xl, we are proceeding with caution but have decided to restore it to a trans finish. I am excited but a little nervous that some how the sound may change or perhaps even something irreversible might happen, but I just have to trust the professional at this point. I am going to add pictures along this journey which I was told may take a month and a half. Turns out it was a Trans Purple originally

Looking forward to more updates! What color have you chosen for the refinish? The fact that you used the word "restoration" suggests you want to replicate one of the original finish colors?

Comment

Awesome! Also interested in seeing what trans color you do.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I am conflicted as to what color to choose. I love the idea of the original purple except for the fact it was quite dark and tends to hide some of the figured maple, and trans amber does not appeal to me, or at least does not feel right for this guitar. I really would like to stick with one of the 4 original trans finishes Transparent Cherry Sunburst, Transparent Red, Transparent Amber, Transparent Purple. !? Any suggestions I would definitely love to hear.

Comment

I realize trans blue wasn't an original finish for the Charvel 750 but overall I think trans blue is one of the most attractive transparent finishes from any guitar brand, with special mention of Jackson's chlorine finish being particularly stunning.

The Jackson Soloist Archtop Professional seen below is very closely related to the Charvel 750 and happens to be trans blue. So if you chose trans blue for your 750, you would still be respecting the 750 but also have a color inspired by a related guitar from very roughly the same time period (though not precisely era-correct for purists).

https://reverb.com/item/20523867-jac...ansparent-blue

Comment

I prefer the amber myself, but blue would be my next choice, followed by cherry sunburst.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It is too late now. But I would have kept the zebra and just sanded off the neck.

Comment

I really, really appreciate the advice and beautiful pictures. I do have a trans blue les paul style Agile guitar which is quite nice to look at, along with a cherry sunburst and two variations of tobacco sunburst which are all les paul copies. I am not sure why my luthier could not do a lighter coat of purple with a little darker on the edges much like that blue Jackson. I have not given up completely on purple yet, but it has to be just right. What do you guys think about a tobacco sunburst?

I really did like the Zebra stripes because it reminds me of a great era of tall hair and maybe too much cocaine. That said the paint on the neck was becoming a bigger issue, the white paint was starting to look yellow, and I was always a little jealous of the pictures of guys with Transparent top 750's and I found a guy who would refinish for $350.00....I wanted to restore this guitar to its original beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverenough View Post
                  and I found a guy who would refinish for $350.00....
                  There is a reason why some people charge $1000 and tell you that it will take 6 weeks from the time they receive it.
                  And others charge $150 and have your guitar back to you in 48 hours.

Comment

https://www.marcusdanielsluthiery.com/ I was told a month and a half.

Comment

Comment

So you decided to go with purple! Gonna look great. Keep it up.

Comment

Looking great so far! Awesome work. Would love to grab one of these. Definitely my unicorn.
                          Heath

Comment

Very nice. How's the fret condition? Hopefully they've already been serviced/replaced. One day when I go down the same path, I'll get stainless wire installed before the big strip.

Comment

This guitar has exceeded all expectations, and really has the soul of a Gibson Les Paul, but with a shredders neck. When I first heard about the 750XL I was like yeah wow that sounds awesome with the tried and true tone woods of Mahogany and Maple but with a neck that I have basically grown up with I knew I had to try it. I don't know why all guitars are not made like this honestly So after getting the guitar back it feels brand new to the hands very clean and crisp and the set-up is so freaking low its amazing, the Slash Alnico II pro's are just killer with low end grunt you can feel down to your core and still solos are so responsive so it becomes well just easier. I was trying to think of one word to really describe what it is that makes this guitar great and I think that word is "connected" I am not sure if its how it resonates against ones body or what but this instrument feels more like an extension of myself and I don't really think of what my hands are doing...I just play.

Comment

Working...
                              X