6 Pack of Sound Pick up replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Pack of Sound Pick up replacement question

I can solder and have replaced pick ups in non-coil split guitars before. I was planning to change the bridge pick up in my MIM San Dimas from a JB to a Custom to make it little less shrill and have a little more blues rock tone. After looking in the pot cavity though, I am intimidated. Looks like very fine soldering with LOTS of little wires.

Has anyone who is not a pro tech tackled this? How hard was it and should I even attempt?

Welcome to the forum. Just get a 4-conductor Custom and wire it exactly the same as the JB that's in there now. Though, if you want to tame the JB a little bit, I'd first try a 250k pot instead of 500k. The JB always sounds warmer that way. I'm one who usually rips the JB out of most guitars, but with at least one 250k pot, it really makes a difference.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Toejam (you must be very dexterous with that screen name). I have never changed pots on a guitar before. The 250K must be tone pot replacement, not volume, pot right?

It's really not that hard to wire?

Comment

Originally posted by AddedC View Post
        Thanks Toejam (you must be very dexterous with that screen name). I have never changed pots on a guitar before. The 250K must be tone pot replacement, not volume, pot right?

It's really not that hard to wire?
        The wiring diagram should be very easy to follow. Or like toejam said, copy the wires exactly as they were. He means changing the volume pot actually. The value on those does effect the tone of the pickup as well. Strats come with 250k pots because their single coil pickups are naturally very bright. So you can tame a bright humbucker down with a 250k volume pot instead of a 500k.

Seymour duncan's website has wiring diagrams for pretty much any set up you can imagine on their site.

I usually heat the terminal up with the soldering iron, drop a drop of solder onto that, then push the pickup wire through that. Add more solder if after the wire puncturing left a gap in the terminal hole. There are many ways to solder however.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the info Toes and Entrails. (Pretty visceral group here.)

Comment

Working...
          X