Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel SL?

First post!

Anyway, I've been trying to ID this Charvel I recently got from Japan but couldn't find anything on the web on it as it's got very unusual specs. The store had it listed as a "Charvel SL" as it does appear to have Soloist specs, but the toothpaste logo and neck-thru construction makes it likely it's from the Professional Series (https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...=1#post1670920). But I couldn't find a model from that series that has a TOM string-thru bridge, 3-way toggle switch, and what appear to be stock EMGs. To add to the confusion, it's got a serial number that starts with C6, indicating a build year of 1986.

Any hints will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

That is badass! I don't recall anything with those specs either, but I'm curious to know, since it's not 100% evident from your photos:

1) Does it have an arched top?

2) Are the inlays made of mother of pearl, or are they plastic?

3) What is the scale length?

The only toothpaste-logo Charvel that had a TOM bridge was the 750 which came in TOM-equipped and trem-equipped versions. But this guitar is clearly not a 750 as those were very distinctive with their reverse finlays, short scale, set neck, 3-way blade switch, and arched top. But then again, the serial number format you named is more suggestive of the Model Series, for example the Model 5 and Model 6, and this guitar is clearly neither of those either. Fascinating and confusing at the same time!

Japan-only models are not well-cataloged and I suspect this is a Japan-only model given that you said you bought it in Japan and it has unusual specs. I've always thought the Japan-market is a bit like an alternate dimension when it comes to guitars... they can do some wacky, not-by-the-books, rules-out-the-window, fast-and-loose things that might never be seen or documented by North Americans.

Comment

1) It's got a flat top, with an angled neck as part of the whole TOM bridge design

2) Up close it looks like mother-of-pearl as it's got that texture. Plastic would look flat white right?

3) 25.5", the same as my Model 1C when I compared them side-by-side

Anyway, it seems that you're right about it being a Japan-only model. I asked a Charvel enthusiast friend off-forum around the same time I posted and just got this from him (from http://www.charvelusa.com/charvel_mo...96_1997.html):

The Soloist Model-1E in the top left appears to match the specs of my Charvel. And the serial number now makes sense--it probably means 1996 instead of 1986. I'd assumed that there were no more toothpaste-logo Charvels by the mid-90s, but since this is a Japan-model, I guess anything goes.

Looks like the search is over as quickly as it started Am loving the neck profile of this thing, it's got no shoulders to get in the way of my short fingers. And the finish! In the pictures it looks black, but shine a bright light on it and a dark green sparkle appears that complements the yellowed binding nicely. Still getting used to the TOM though, especially when doing sweeps--the heel of my palm almost floats in the air instead of resting firmly on the body because of the height of the strings.

Thanks for the quick reply, and for the info in the other thread I referenced above

Comment

That is really great!! I`d love to own that with just the bridge humbucker.

Comment

I have one just like it, minus a tone knob. Mine was purchased from Japan by the previous owner too. I chalked it up to some kind of Japan only guitar run, J/C has done it before.

Comment

Yeah, that's a Japanese market guitar. They kept producing them even after they stopped importing them here. Nice score!
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Great job digging further and identifying it yourself! If your inlays look anything like the Japanese catalog scan you showed, then they're MOP. The plastic inlays don't have that shimmery, colorful, iridescent, soap-bubble look to them, and look more like what white glue looks like when you try to water it down.

You're welcome. Guess it's not a Charvel Professional Series after all. "American Style Custom"... I like everything I see on that catalog scan. Japan gets cool specs in their alternate dimension. Your guitar is practically an SL2HT with a rosewood board, Charvel toothpaste logo, controls further away, and Japanese extreme scooped neck joint.

Comment

here is the catalogue, and picture of soloist model 1 and soloist model 2. 1996 rockinn limited series.
                the logo is different, take 2 guitars: 1996 and 1989 and compare, toothpaste is different.

Comment

C is under the d string peg, L is a little away from higher E string peg.

Comment

Working...
                  X