No announcement yet.

Ok, yet another Identification needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, yet another Identification needed.

Well I did a new member Intro, so here is my Guitar related post.
    As I said in my first post I bought a Charvel, I'm just not sure what year/model etc and I'm looking for some expertise to help me figure it out.
    What I have figured out
    I like it.
    Made in Japan
    Fender headstock so most likely 2002+ (I don't think its a CS lol)
    Its been Monkeyed with a bit I think (no offense intended to any Monkeys who may view this thread)
    Has Black Jackson labeled tuners.
    The bridge is a FR Special. Not a 1000
    Bridge is Gold. and has the upgraded Floyd Rose Brass block with 37 stamped on it.C
    Comes with accessory parts like Gold Bridge mounting posts, that and it being a Special make me think its been changed,
    Locking nut removed and a Tusq XL (I Think) added, Locking nut with guitar.
    I'm not sure about the bridge pickup. it may have been changed, no visible markings and I haven't opened it up yet.
    Neck and middle PUPs are branded Jackson.
    6 digit serial starting with 339xxx.
    And I really hope those Knobs are NOT original!
    So here are some pics, first I'm sorry about the pics, I have a not so good camera.

Anything else that will help with ID just let me know.
    Thanks to all who help.

Looks like a neck from the Japanese run of Charvel Production Models (2010-11) mated to a Charvel 375 body. While offhand I don't recall the 375 ever having a trans quilt finish, and a quick scroll through Google Images also doesn't show me any trans blue quilt finished 375s, specs for the 375 can be found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...rt-guitars.php which does say that a flame top and bottom were optional, so I guess you have one of those, and they might be somewhat seldom seen.

As you probably surmised, the Floyd Special is not original. The 375 originally came with a Jackson/Charvel JT590 trem, made by Schaller. That trem had short/fat locking screws. Note that your Floyd Special's long/thin locking screws extend slightly beyond the trem route of your 375 body, which can potentially limit pull-up range. If you want a correct-spec trem with full pull-up range, either find a used Jackson/Charvel JT590 or buy a new "Schaller Tremolo" which is the identical OEM version: https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/359/schaller-tremolo

Damn nice mutt, reminiscent of today's Charvel Strathead Dinkys like the Satchel and Warren DeMartini models.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 02-25-2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I am wondering how well that stays in tune without the locking nut and why would they take it off? Hmm now that i looked at the picture closer the claw is also there so the floyd must be blocked.
      Last edited by ed; 02-25-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I was able to track down the dates the neck was made, but nothing else I saw seemed to fit.
        I was thinking possibly a Jackson body, as they were all I came across while searching that had the right Pickups and control layout..
        While I found that page you linked with the specs on the 375, I didn't do a search on those!
        I was thinking it was newer and was concentrating on the 2000s.
        It does seem to fit doesn't it.
        Except as you noted no Quilt top/back was offered, but to be truthful, I'm not sure when they started calling them Quilt Maple tops.
        Who knows maybe that was considered to be Flame Maple then (Marketing).

So, the thoughts so far are:
        a 2010-11 MIJ Neck,
        with a 1989-91 MIJ loaded body (QTB),
        with a Floyd Rose special W/ upgraded FR.com 37 Brass Block..
        and Not the JT 590 that came with the body,
        Locking Nut removed and replaced with Tusq XL Nut
        And ugly Knobs.
        and Jackson Tuners.

Well, I had my suspicions something wasn't quite right.
        Not as bad as it could be I guess.
        Still Charvel parts, just didn't come together.
        Separated by about 20 years or so.
        And most important still a fine playing and sounding guitar that Im enjoying.
        I'm just glad a didn't pay a lot for it.
        I love the QM top/B etc
        So overall, about what I expected.

ED:
        Half, well mostly right... FR is Blocked, but that is an extra Claw you see loose in the pics.
        I don't really use a Bar much normally so Im good with it being blocked, most of mine are decked in one way or another except my Kahler equipped guitars and those I just leave the bar out.

Comment

that body looks too modern for a 375 to me. It could possibly be a Japanese Pro-Mod, one of the Wildcard models.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

I figured it was probably some Dinky body, but the back of the body looks to be quilted as well which I don't know if C/J have ever done that, other than having seem some USA Jackson bodies that were solid flame maple.

Didn't they do some Japanese Phil Collen Dinky's back in the day that didn't have the sustainers? My brain is saying PC-3 or something. Maybe it's one of those?

Was there any markings in the neck pocket?

Also, does it intonate okay? A lot of the Dinky bodies with the back scallops like that mounted 24 fret necks, although there were 22 Fret Dinky's as well.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Didn't they do some Japanese Phil Collen Dinky's back in the day that didn't have the sustainers? My brain is saying PC-3 or something. Maybe it's one of those?
              I thought of the PC3 too. But those had a natural/red/brown back
              Hail yesterday

Comment

None of the Wild Card models, Japanese or American, had these 22-fret Dinky bodies. They were all full-sized Strat bodies.

I identified it as a 375 body based on the middle pickup being closer to the bridge pickup than the neck pickup, which was a hallmark of the HSS-equipped Japanese Model Series and toothpaste logo guitars like my Model 1C, the Model 3, Model 4, 375, and 475. I assume this was done back in the day to allow sufficient room, if desired, to route a neck humbucker and have the spacing between all three pickups look aesthetically pleasing.

The shallow JT590 route paired with the aftermarket 37mm brass block (fortunately, it's the correct length for this guitar) is a particularly big giveaway too. This trem stopped being used on USA Jacksons in 1996 when the OFR became standard equipment (guitars like the Soloist Custom became designated the SL1, and given 32mm blocks with the full/deep recess route), it stopped appearing on Japanese Jacksons in 1995 (when the famous Professional Pro Series stopped), and Japanese Charvel toothpaste-logoed guitars stopped being made even earlier (1991). Thus, the death of the JT590 logically cannot place this guitar later than 1996 at most.

Also, the exact control layout/location, and scallop on the neck joint area, in combination with the features already listed in the above paragraphs, were big indicators that it was a 375 body.

Being a 375 body, which would originally have had a 22-fret toothpaste-logoed neck, it should intonate fine with the 2010-11 22-fret Japanese Pro-Mod neck.

Here's a flamed 375 I found on Reverb for comparison. All the hallmarks I listed above can be seen in the listing below, except the maple figuring is nowhere near as nice as DJGranite's guitar.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/718523-ch...luxe-90-91-mij

One thing I missed before is the Jackson-logoed tuners on the Charvel Pro-Mod neck. It's hard to see from your photos, but they look like the usual Jackson-logoed Gotoh SG38 style tuners. The American and Japanese Charvel Pro-Mods had Grover Mini-Rotomatics as seen below. I assume no extra screw holes were drilled to mount the Jackson tuners?

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 02-27-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

The transparent finish 375 and 475 models were called deluxe exotics.

Comment

Minor point, but wasn't the title of "Exotic" reserved just for the 475 Deluxe that had "exotic wood top and back"? Citation: Page 15 of the 1990-91 Jackson/Charvel catalog: https://downloads.ctfassets.net/4jcp...91-catalog.pdf

In that catalog, there is no 375 Deluxe Exotic. Henrik's Audiozone site (https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...rt-guitars.php) also only allows the 475 to carry the Exotic label, never the 375. https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...rt-guitars.php
                    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 02-27-2019, 02:20 PM. Reason: Removed extra instance of "wood" in "exotic wood wood top and back"

Comment

There are some extra holes by the tuners.
                      Definitely older Jackson tuners, The piece where the screw goes (there must be a better terminology for this lol)(tang?)
                      has more of a 45ish degree angle where the original to the neck ones (above pic) are closer to 90 degrees, leaving a small hole barely visible now from the original mounting screw.
                      I will get a better pic up soon, showing this.

I did notice that in the Catalog linked, (1990) the only Blue finish for the 375 Deluxe was a Pearl Blue, with the Transparent Amber, Red, and Purple were the trans finishes offered. I didn't find any Trans Blue in any of the Charvel's colors offered
                      I had to go all the way down the list to the Jackson Pro Fusion to find Trans Blue offered then it was offered on several models.

I also noticed 0n the web page link(Henrik's) that the (89-91) 375 was offered with Opt. Flame T/B, and the 475 Special (89) was offered with opt. Fig. T/B. While the (90-91) 475 Deluxe was NOT offered with an optional T/B, however it appears that the
                      (90-91) 475 Deluxe Exotic came with Fig T/B standard...

I wonder if maybe it was ordered this way? combining the Trans Blue (looks to be a Jackson color) with the opt. Fig. T/B ala the 475?
                      a Deluxe 375 W/ Fig T/B in Trans Blue?
                      Its all there in the catalog/Henrik's Web Page, just not all together.
                      I believe we are on the right track, I too, think it is a Deluxe 375 loaded Body but specs don't quite line up.
                      Bad enough that the 2000's neck threw me off.

So I guess I still have questions that justify me digging further.
                      I really appreciate everyone chiming in with their thoughts as that leads to new areas to explore that I didn't know existed in some cases. And these links help SO much.
                      Keep it coming.
                      Last edited by DJGranite; 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

You could take the neck off and see whats written in there. And yes i guess the exotic was reserved only for 475.

Comment

Oh, I haven't had the neck off yet to check and see if anything is in the neck pocket. I will and add pics when I do.

Comment

I can't quite make out what is stamped in the pocket, But I'm not used to looking at these pockets.
                            this is the first time I've pulled a neck off of a Charvel.
                            Maybe one of you with more experience with Charvels can decipher it.

And one more just in case it helps.

I am sorry for the "fuzziness" in the pics. Its the best I can do right now with My ancient Crappy Camera.
                            Thanks in Advance all.

Comment

This is fun. Always love doing tricky identifications. Makes me feel like Sherlock Holmes.

If you can't read the stamps in the neck pocket in person, and they do look faded and illegible in the photos to my eyes, not much chance we'll be able to distinguish them in the photos you provided. Last ditch resort... do you have a "macro" mode on your camera? The mode might be indicated with a tulip icon, as seen below. This will allow your camera to focus much closer to the subject (the stamps).

While you've got the neck off, you could also lift all three pickups to see if there are any labels identifying them. I know you mentioned wanting to identify at least the bridge pickup in your first post at the top of this thread.

Lastly, catalogs and databases are an indispensable guide for general identification, but may not capture oddball/rare guitars. In other words, the catalogs are quite accurate for the most part but don't always capture "spot models" (tiny batch releases not meant for national/international distribution) or the occasional small deviation. In this case, your quilted blue 375 body may have been an oddball only because the literature (catalogs and websites) didn't capture it, but personally it doesn't mean they don't exist and doesn't necessarily make a deviation any less legitimate.

As an analogy, scientists are still discovering new species in the rainforest, identifying them, and giving them names. It doesn't mean that all these interesting animals don't exist, it's just that they've eluded human eyes/cataloging until now. This 375 body in quilt blue could be one of those rarely seen new rainforest species that simply haven't had many/any human eyeballs on it yet. I myself own a Jackson KE3 that has neck/headstock binding; they're officially not supposed to exist in this configuration, but all evidence strongly suggests it left the factory as a KE3 body mated to a bound DK2S neck, and I've found two more specimens like this one since then.

Comment

Working...
                              X