Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD- Ash w/aged ebony HH FR

Happy Monday All,
    Recently back to playing more and filling holes of guitars I have sold. Thankfully kept my Suhr Antique Modern but sold all the other guitars I had about 2 years ago.
    3 weeks ago I picked up the USA Select HSS HT on the right, yesterday I got a great deal on a MIM Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Ash body with Floyd Rose. Also added a Suhr Classic SSS recently so I am set until I find a deal on a used Demartini Snake or Frenchie.

The Ash MIM is great, happy to see the same neck shape and quality as the USA model minus a little finishing effort.

The USA has recessed and filled fret ends where the MIM does not, and also the frets are finished slightly nicer on the USA than on the MIM. Not a big deal as it is still fantastic and will have my tech polish them up at some point.

Question: Any history on the "Aged Ebony" that was used for these fretboards? Guessing the wood it has been around in the US for a while and maybe not used yet because it isn't totally black?

*sorry for the bad pic, will replace tonight.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's this one.

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/pro-m...charcoal-grey/

Comment

Aged ebony? Never heard of it. Most ebony is striped/streaky and usually manufacturers will dye their boards to get it uniformly black, anyway. The all black stuff is harder to come by these days and you'll find more streaky boards around.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Watch any video from Bob Taylor (https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...b+taylor+ebony) discussing the state of ebony.

In summary, it used to be that ebony trees were chopped down in hopes of finding the blackest ebony, which comprises something like 10% of the log. The rest is wasted because it's streaky and considered undesirable, even though it's perfectly good wood. Terrible ecological practices. What Bob did is to make streaky ebony more acceptable.

I don't mind if streaked ebony is dyed to make it uniformly black, or left streaky. My big relief is that now we're not needlessly wasting wood. This is a good thing.

Comment

Yes, but just wondering about the "aged" claim

Comment

"Aged" likely is just a marketing mumbo-jumbo term concocted to try and put a positive spin on streaky ebony. Someone thought it looked cool, so they decided to use it and then created an advertising description to explain why it was different from "regular" ebony.

Comment

Yes, that is possible. But I know for some of their recent reclaimed wood guitars they have a story about how the redwood was used in a train trestle, then a warehouse, then finally reclaimed and made into a guitar.

Maybe someone is close enough to know who came up with the marketing, or knows the actual reasoning behind calling it AGED EBONY.

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              "Aged" likely is just a marketing mumbo-jumbo term concocted to try and put a positive spin on streaky ebony. Someone thought it looked cool, so they decided to use it and then created an advertising description to explain why it was different from "regular" ebony.

Comment

I'd assume that they are buying up the shit that was cut down left to rot(I mean age) since it wasn't black enough.

Comment

I have several examples of jet black and streaked (apparently now call aged ) ebony and love them all. Ebony is the KING of fretboard woods for me!
                  '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                  '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                  '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                  '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                  '90 Charvel 475 XL
                  '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                  Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                  Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                  Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
                  X