New to me 88 Model 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
    As far as the kahler locknut is concerned. That bar that forces you to feed the strings through it comes off. If you remove the nut there are 2 screws on the bottom that hold it on. Ive never done this but it should still work fine as a locknut if you remove the bar.
    Hmm... not the case with this string lock. it had 4 screws and the entire lock came off - it's one piece.

Should have a GraphTech nut here tomorrow, and I'm going to see if that's slippery enough to hold tune along with the locking tuners... the Floyd is blocked. If not, I have a Floyd Rose locking nut that I'll install... which might be a bit of a challenge given the two mounting holes are about the same width of the truss rod slot, and I'll have to make a shelf for it.

The guitar rips though... just need to get the tuning dialed in.
    -Jon G

Comment

If it were mine I'd put a Floyd nut on it. For pickups since I don't care for bridge pickup only guitars much I would put a pickup in the neck like a J200r or maybe a cool rails and throw a three way toggle in one of the existing holes. Fix the Floyd back to either floating or dive only and call it done. It might not be the prettiest but should be a great player with a little versatility with two pickups. Really it doesn't look that bad other than the botch job on the blade switch.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
        Sounds and looiks like you should have left it on CL.
        Originally posted by jong View Post
        A new OFR would cost me more than what I paid.
        A playable Model 6 for less than an new OFR sounds like a deal to me. I've seen completely parted out Model 6 bodies for $300 to $400 on Ebay.

Comment

A Model 6 BODY parted out? I hope that simply means that the hardware is stripped from the guitar, instead of what it SOUNDS like it means (which is catastrophic for a neckthru guitar like a Model 6)...

Comment

Originally posted by jong View Post
            Hmm... not the case with this string lock. it had 4 screws and the entire lock came off - it's one piece.

Should have a GraphTech nut here tomorrow, and I'm going to see if that's slippery enough to hold tune along with the locking tuners... the Floyd is blocked. If not, I have a Floyd Rose locking nut that I'll install... which might be a bit of a challenge given the two mounting holes are about the same width of the truss rod slot, and I'll have to make a shelf for it.

The guitar rips though... just need to get the tuning dialed in.
            Ah, I thought you were referring to the kahler locknut found on some model series guitars. But I now see you are referring to the after the nut string lock. Yeah, no way of getting around having to pass the strings through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              A Model 6 BODY parted out? I hope that simply means that the hardware is stripped from the guitar, instead of what it SOUNDS like it means (which is catastrophic for a neckthru guitar like a Model 6)...
              Yeah all hardware stripped from the guitar. Body and neck still intact. Like this Model 5.
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Charve...AAAOSwv7da2ITV

Comment

Working...
              X