NGD- Pro Mod DK24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD- Pro Mod DK24

It's everything the DK24 Super Stock was, without the Dimarzios, the additional middle p'up & the ebony board. Pretty darned nice! Be a LOT nicer when I get done modding it!

Last edited by vector; 03-17-2018, 07:41 AM.

Looks sweet. How does it play? I never played the DK24 Super stock. What's the neck like?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Kiesel Aries
    Charvel USA Wild Card #3
    EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback, Boss RV-3

Comment

Very nice man. What kind of mods you got in mind for it?

Comment

Originally posted by jclogston View Post
        Looks sweet. How does it play? I never played the DK24 Super stock. What's the neck like?
        Not too shabby- workmanship looks good, very comfy neck, the Full Shred and Jazz sound pretty good (I'm NOT a fan of the white bobbins) the fret work is solid; no protruding hand hazards , action is good, the unfinished board takes a little getting used to, the 1000 series Floyd is solid, holds tuning well but still less responsive than a real-deal OFR.

https://youtu.be/5vYB-7lZAGw

Comment

Originally posted by Hired Goon View Post
          Very nice man. What kind of mods you got in mind for it?
          For starters: the gold hardware has got to go. Not a fan. Likewise, the white pickups ain't happenin'. They sound pretty good, though the Full Shred is a little murky for my tastes. Hasta La Vista, baby. Likely getting a custom wound Gravelin or a JB J. The 1000 series Floyd will be replaced with a brand new Schaller LockMeister w/ a 37mm brass big block, the tuners will be replaced with the appropriate black Gotohs, the blade-style p'up selector switch will be replaced by a toggle switch (not a fan of blade switches) and finally, the tone pot will be converted to a kill switch pot.
          Last edited by vector; 03-17-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
            Not too shabby- workmanship looks good, very comfy neck, the Full Shred and Jazz sound pretty good (I'm NOT a fan of the white bobbins) the fret work is solid; no protruding hand hazards , action is good, the unfinished board takes a little getting used to, the 1000 series Floyd is solid, holds tuning well but still less responsive than a real-deal OFR.

https://youtu.be/5vYB-7lZAGw
            Nice. Are the necks similar to previous charvel?
            Kiesel Aries
            Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

Nice. Are the necks similar to previous charvel?
              This neck is, from what I can tell, identical to the '16 DK24 Super Stock. How that compares to the San Dimas pro mod versions is a little more difficult to tell- haven't had one in my hand in a few years.

Comment

So, the mods commenced yesterday and this is what she looks like currently. There are still some minor electronic mods to be made- a 500K Kill switch tone pot and a toggle for the 5 way blade switch. Debating whether to ditch the p'ups. I like the sound of them but dislike the color.

Comment

Did you ever swap out the pickups? I'm interested in this guitar but want to see how deep the pickup cavity is - specifically if it can accommodate a Duncan Distortion (SH-6 or TB-6)?
                  Kiesel Aries
                  Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

I'm thinking about picking up the white version of this guitar. I'd just like to know if the neck profile leans more towards the Charvel side or the Jackson side.

Comment

Did you ever swap out the pickups? I'm interested in this guitar but want to see how deep the pickup cavity is - specifically if it can accommodate a Duncan Distortion (SH-6 or TB-6)?
                      I haven't swapped them out yet. I kinda like the Full Shred, though at gig volume, it turns into a barely-controlled sonic mess. Shit ton of feedback.

Originally posted by freedom's door View Post
                      I'm thinking about picking up the white version of this guitar. I'd just like to know if the neck profile leans more towards the Charvel side or the Jackson side.
                      Charvel side. I really like this ax and I had a chance to compare it to a 2014 Pro Series DK2M Limited Edition. DK24 definitely leans more towards the Charvel side of the family.

Comment

Charvel side. I really like this ax and I had a chance to compare it to a 2014 Pro Series DK2M Limited Edition. DK24 definitely leans more towards the Charvel side of the family.
                        Thanks, I consider that to be good news!

Comment

Zombie thread warning! But I felt the need to clear up an earlier statement re: the p'ups- I tried the DK24 again during rehearsal last Sunday and it sounded much better. Prior to, the p'ups had been alternately sludgy or, oddly enough, squealing with feedback- not something you'd expect from moderate output SD's. Yeah, I run my DK thru a pedal board with a bit of distortion into a clean channel in the Marshall JVM 50 watt. But I've rarely run into any feedback issues with other hotter, higher output guitars. I'm left equally stymied over whether to replace or not. I like the different tone the Full Shred brings and if it's not squealing like a banshee, it's okay for gigging. But the white bobbin bothers me profoundly. I've seen a few You Tube vids on how to paint a p'up though I'm okay with laying out the cash for a custom color set. I guess the questions are: is this something I really need to do given my diminishing prospects of gigging and how will that effect re-sale when the time comes?

Comment

Zombie thread warning! But I felt the need to clear up an earlier statement re: the p'ups- I tried the DK24 again during rehearsal last Sunday and it sounded much better. Prior to, the p'ups had been alternately sludgy or, oddly enough, squealing with feedback- not something you'd expect from moderate output SD's. Yeah, I run my DK thru a pedal board with a bit of distortion into a clean channel in the Marshall JVM 50 watt. But I've rarely run into any feedback issues with other hotter, higher output guitars. I'm left equally stymied over whether to replace or not. I like the different tone the Full Shred brings and if it's not squealing like a banshee, it's okay for gigging. But the white bobbin bothers me profoundly. I've seen a few You Tube vids on how to paint a p'up though I'm okay with laying out the cash for a custom color set. I guess the questions are: is this something I really need to do given my diminishing prospects of gigging and how will that effect re-sale when the time comes?
                            Or maybe try these guys:

https://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm

Comment

Why not? I'll give them a shot.

Originally posted by EioPago45 View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X