Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock pups in a 90-91 Charvel Fusion Plus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock pups in a 90-91 Charvel Fusion Plus?

I just picked up a 90 or 91 Charvel Fusion Plus-transparent finish ash body, dual HB pups, toothpaste logo. The previous owner swapped out tbe stock J-80 and J-50 pups for active Reflex brand pups. I would like to restore as closely as possible to stock configuration.

Would the stock J-80 and J-50 have been the ALNICO or ceramic magnet versions?

What pot values were used for the volume and tone knobs?

If I can't find the stock pups, what would be the closest possible Duncan or Dimarzio comination s; e.g., Duncan Custom + 59' or maybe Dimarzio Super Distortion + PAF 36th Anniversary?

Pictures?

Comment

I believe the Fusion Plus pickups were alnico. They were J50 & J80, not J50BC & J80C

500k pots.

Gotoh was making Jackson pickups after '89. They're not bad but not great either. I understand the desire to return your baby to stock. But there are much better pickups out there.

A Custom/59 set would rock in it
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Looking for a set of pups that would sound good not only in full HB mode, but also when using the split coil options available with the Fusion's JE-0005 switch. Usually, a slightly higher output pup sounds better in split coil mode than a lower output pup. I have never heard a 59' in split mode, but vintage output HBs can sometimes sound very shrill and thin in split coil mode.

Here is a link to the GC listing for my guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Cha...tric-Guitar.gc

It was shipped from one of their Florida locations. It was $599 with case, but no vibrato bar.
        You can clearly see the covered Reflex active pups. It is in pristine cosmetic condition and is one of the prettier guitars that I have ever owned. However the setup was so bad when it arrived that it was unplayable. The bridge was tilted so far back that the strings were fretting out around the middle of the fretboard. My local GC staff was so aghast that it had been shipped in that condition that they comped me a free setup, set of strings, and vibrato bar. It plays GREAT now!

Interestingly, I ordered what appears to be the same guitar from the Nashville location back around Thanksgiving for $699 without a case:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Cha...tric-Guitar.gc

GC called my the next day and issued a refund because they said the Police came to the store and told them it was a stolen instrument.

It sure looks like the same guitar-down to the covered non-OEM pups. However, there is a vibrato bar present in the pics. Also, the Allen wrenches clearly visible on the back of the headstock in these pics were not present on the guitar I received. Not sure why the same "stolen" guitar would be sold at a different location with a case, less vibrato bar and Allen wrenches, for $100 less just a few weeks later, but I guess it worked out well for me in the end! Not crazy about the Reflex pups, massive gain and sustain, but no punch. They would be great for sustaining single note melody lines in an instrumental Rock tune, but that is not my bag.
        Last edited by Ricey; 02-23-2018, 01:07 AM.

Comment

that does look like the same guitar. Grain pattern is exactly the same
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            that does look like the same guitar. Grain pattern is exactly the same
            Maybe they just forgot to list the case in the first listing? The guitar is immaculate. Maybe the "thief" kept it hidden under his bed for 28 years out of fear of getting busted and the original owner moved on-maybe doesn't even play guitar anymore, so he sold it back to GC? Vibrato bar and wrenches were probably ripped off while it was on display at the Florida store. That is one possible scenario.I guess, but it saved me $100!

Comment

They are great guitars. I have one that is similar to yours but its more yellow and more beat up. Also i had one like 10 years or so ago with a tobacco sunburst finish if i recall. I also owned a Jackson Fusion pro for a while and i like the Charvel more for some reason.

Comment

I have a Duncan Custom Bridge pup laying around in my "parts" box somewhere. I also have a spare Jackson J-50BC from a Model 6. I know that is a designated bridge pup, but would it work in the neck position; i.e., is the voicing too specific to the bridge position to sound good in the neck?

Comment

The J-50BC is sort or hot at over 8.5K typically, but might match with the output of the Custom. Give it a try as is. I'm not sure if I'd try magnet swapping with the J-50BC if you find it too muddy.

FWIW, I have a Screamin Demon in the neck of a ProMod (it works), and others put JB's in the neck.

You got to remember you have a short scale and a rosewood fretboard already trying to make the tone warmer.

Comment

How can I verify the year of manufacture? Serial number is 373453.

And, oh, are the vintage Jackson pups trembucker or F spaced?

Does that make a big difference? The spare Duncan Custom that I have is regular spaced.

I found a vintage Jackson pup guide here:

http://www.charvelusa.com/jackson_pickups.html

It does seem to indicate that the J-50, J-50BC, and J-80BC, while intended for the bridge position, are also compatible with the neck position.
                    Last edited by Ricey; 02-25-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Dunno.
                      No.
                      No.
                      Any pickup can be used in any position. The question is, will it sound good?
                      Wire it up.

Comment

I think I will give it a shot. Thanks everyone for all your advice!

Comment

Congrats I was thinking about getting that one, but I just had to keep telling myself I already own a fusion, you don’t need another one, haha. That’s a beautiful guitar

Comment

Thanks! It is almost mint-just one small divit about halfway up the back of the neck, but it does not break the finish and it sits below where I usually rest my thumb, so I can't feel it while playing. Is there any way to verify the model year? The original listing indicated 1989, but it looks more like a 90' or 91' to me. Serial number is 373453. I don't think the active Reflex pups ever came stock in a Charvel either and I am not yet diggin' them. Hard to tell though because the treble side pup adjustment screws are both missing, so I can't adjust the treble side. They appear to be unusual size screws too because GC had a box full of various size screws and none of them fit. The screws are about half the length of typical HB screws and the thread spacing appears somewhat narrower. If anyone knows of a potential supplier, please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                            X