Original Model 4 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Model 4 review

I found this in an old Kerrang magazine (obviously!) when I was searching for something else.

Thanks for posting!

What year was that? Just looking at the price, reckon that might have been more than a Les Paul at the time - will have to dig out my 1986 Guitarist magazines from the loft. Picked up my Model 4 for £350 second-hand in 1989, here in the UK.

Comment

Oh i didnt know they had the handmade Seymore Duncans.

Comment

I remember paying my Model 4 a seriously expensive price in 1988... But I wanted it!!!
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
          I remember paying my Model 4 a seriously expensive price in 1988... But I wanted it!!!

1988 pricelist.....

And this will give you a rough idea in todays dollars..
          http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

88pricelist.jpg
          A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Saxon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by phragle View Post
              1988 pricelist.....

And this will give you a rough idea in todays dollars..
              http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9812[/ATTACH]
              that gives you some perspective. For all the people bitching about paying more than $1k for a US Charvel, according to this, an '88 Model 6 would be worth $2,407 today
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Thank you for sharing! What was the date of that review?

The reason I ask is because the reviewer seems elated that he found an "ORIGINAL ONE!", states that "Charvel was THE electric guitar of the 1980s", and notes that "these are handmade Seymour Duncan pick-ups", all of which suggest that the review was written after the 1980s and that the guitar has since received Duncan pickups (stock pickups were Jackson J50BC humbucker / J200 single coils).

In that 1988 price list, the third column and the final column are labeled "Net". What does "Net" mean? Is that the actual price?

Comment

Really interesting what they say about the frets... I have an original 3DR, LOVE the frets, and have been trying to find out what they are... online research (including this forum) seems to say they are 6110s. Or at least the 6110s are as close as we can get today...

And after reading that review, I think maybe that's correct... because while they are very wide, they don't seem as tall as many others.... looking at a cross-section of 6100 vs 6110 for example, my Charvel frets do more closely resemble the 6110s...

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

The reason I ask is because the reviewer seems elated that he found an "ORIGINAL ONE!", states that "Charvel was THE electric guitar of the 1980s", and notes that "these are handmade Seymour Duncan pick-ups", all of which suggest that the review was written after the 1980s and that the guitar has since received Duncan pickups (stock pickups were Jackson J50BC humbucker / J200 single coils).

In that 1988 price list, the third column and the final column are labeled "Net". What does "Net" mean? Is that the actual price?
                    I think its Dealer net pricing. Whatever that means. Maybe what it costs to the dealer. Also those are recommended retail prices so its up to the dealer how low he will sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      that gives you some perspective. For all the people bitching about paying more than $1k for a US Charvel, according to this, an '88 Model 6 would be worth $2,407 today
                      Entry level stuff is even more astounding... 1n 87 or so I bought my first new guitar, a BC Rich Rave..... total bottom of the barrel plywood cheapness, for $200 today that 200 is 436 bucks..... Today that puts you between the js 32's and the x-series in Jacksons lineup with a floyd..... Todays new guitar players are getting much better bang for the buck
                      A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

Seeing the Saxon rock the nation ad on the page, that has to date it around 86-87 ??

Comment

Thanks Phragle for the price list! 849$us for a Model 4M... I saved your photo as a souvenir! Time flies!!!

I had paid this but in canadian dollar back then. Sadly I was young and stupid and butchered the guitar. a lil' bit.. Anyway, I still have it. It has too much sentimental value.
                          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

The issue is dated October 1987.

You have to realise the difference between the US and every other country for how these guitars are available, priced and regarded.

He may have gotten the pickups wrong most likely as there should have been the Jackson pickups with the boost, but who knows what happened between Japan, the US and the UK.

Comment

Working...
                            X