NGD- DK24 No.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD- DK24 No.2

Liked the first one so much I bought a second one. Great platform for mods and the sweetest neck I've played from any of the many Charvels I've owned or played. Sadly, it will likely require some fret dressing & a thorough wiring check as my last one did. Steve McQuaid at CMC had his tech check them and found that while the frets were good, the Dimarzios were wired according to Seymour Duncan specs. Oops! Supposedly this one's set up and good to go already but like the first, it will get a new JB bridge p'up, the middle SC p'up disconnected and lowered, a real deal OFR, brass big block, noiseless heavy duty springs, toggle switch in place of tone pot/knob, & ditch the blade switch. Lastly, I'm contemplating a kickass custom paint job! For those that don't mind blade switches, the Korean FRT 02000 and the Dimarzio Super D, it's a helluva good ax!!!

Of course , I bought it when I could have waited a few weeks and snagged one of these:

Comment

Both look pretty awesome!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Follow up report: the frets do need dressing. The ends stick out a bit- like little razors or barbed wire That aside, the neck is as sweet as my first one. The oil finish is killer! I'm even kinda liking the sound of the Dimarzio Super D though, A/B-ed against the modded one with the JB, it still seems less impressive. The FRT 02000 is okay but an OFR is needed and the studs and posts might need to be assessed. It works but it's not as responsive as a properly installed OFR.

Comment

I liked the neck feel of a used DK24 I played very much and would have bought if it didn’t have such tight bass (so tight it felt like it barely had any). I wonder if the wiring issue you describe was the cause of the too lean bass... hmm. What exactly did the Seymour Duncan style wiring do to the DiMarzio tones?
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
            I liked the neck feel of a used DK24 I played very much and would have bought if it didn’t have such tight bass (so tight it felt like it barely had any). I wonder if the wiring issue you describe was the cause of the too lean bass... hmm. What exactly did the Seymour Duncan style wiring do to the DiMarzio tones?
            Dude, I can understand not buying an ax new if the pick-ups aren't to your liking but a used ax with meh p'ups? Grab one and swap in better p'ups!!! As for the Seymours vs. the Dimarzio's if you've ever installed p'ups, the leads are color coded differently-
            SD black = Dmz red
            SD white = Dmz black
            SD red = Dmz white
            SD green = Dmz green

They corrected it at the store before sending it out but reportedly it sounded like shit.
            SD vs Dmz.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
              Dude, I can understand not buying an ax new if the pick-ups aren't to your liking but a used ax with meh p'ups? Grab one and swap in better p'ups!!! As for the Seymours vs. the Dimarzio's if you've ever installed p'ups, the leads are color coded differently-
              SD black = Dmz red
              SD white = Dmz black
              SD red = Dmz white
              SD green = Dmz green

They corrected it at the store before sending it out but reportedly it sounded like shit.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9781[/ATTACH]
              Umm... AFTER reading this thread is when I asked myself if something was wrong with the wiring of that Guitar not while I was playing it. And it did not sound bad, it just had NO bass. I have never played a guitar where pickups were the cause of me buying or not buying it.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
              X