Is this a genuine model 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a genuine model 1?

I am thinking of bidding this guitar, I only live about 4 hours away too.

Does the neckplate look like it's from the Model 1 series? Japan?

The bridge looks original, but the humbucker and trem arm are not but that's ok..

Is this a good deal? I've always wanted one of those old Charvels...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Charvel-Mode...53.m1438.l2649

Looks like a legit 1987 Model 1 except as you say for the pickup and trem arm. Neck plate looks legit, it says P.O. Box 2344 Forth Worth, TX 76113 U.S.A. Check for fret wear a re-fret is probably the biggest surprise expense you may discover. Check for cracks in the finish in the cutaways near where the neck bolts on. I found most had finish cracks in this area, the finish is super thick, some had slabs of finish broke off there or lifted.

I see a couple of mystery holes near the base of the truss rod cover that shouldn't be there. Maybe someone tried to install a string lock on it.

Here's my 1986 with the factory string lock behind the nut, these are still available NOS so you could potentially install one to cover up those holes. The truss rod cover is different than the model 1, there is a little square nub that fits in that slot above the center locking screw in a recess, its only held on by the 1 screw at the top.

Last edited by Coolidge; 01-21-2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Some model 1 photos

Last edited by Coolidge; 01-21-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Here's what the seller said about the finish on the body.

Good shape for a used guitar which is over 20 years old. Original Jackson tuners. Original hardware except for the trem arm. Lots of marks and wear on the body and some use of touch-up paint in places.
        And the neckplate is the "R" on it too, so that's a good sign!

So it looks like it's all original except for the pickup and the trem arm, I could probably find that factory pickup on ebay too..

The frets look original but it's hard to tell...looks quite flat in some spots.
        Last edited by d4rin; 01-21-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Looks legit to me. Probably a member, seeing that the trem arm was bought from frets on the net, also a member.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
            Looks legit to me. Probably a member, seeing that the trem arm was bought from frets on the net, also a member.
            Yeah we've sent emails back and forth, think he has a lot of guitars.

What are the necks on those like...like a Wizard neck? I don't think it would be like a modern MIM neck...I'm curious.

Comment

I own a Model 1C (https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...arvel-Model-1C) and its neck feels closer to my USA Soloist than to a Wizard neck (I own three Japanese Ibanez RGs with Super Wizard necks - same dimensions as the original Wizard, but with a bubinga skunk stripe for stability).

So when I got my Model 1C, it was instantly comfortable and "familiar-feeling" because of the same neck profile and compound radius fretboard, because up until that point my Soloist was my main guitar and I was most accustomed to it.

I see zero concerns with that eBay ad. Assuming you live in Canada like the seller does, CAD$380 (shipping included) is a "fair enough" price.
              Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 01-22-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                I own a Model 1C (https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...arvel-Model-1C) and its neck feels closer to my USA Soloist than to a Wizard neck (I own three Japanese Ibanez RGs with Super Wizard necks - same dimensions as the original Wizard, but with a bubinga skunk stripe for stability).

So when I got my Model 1C, it was instantly comfortable and "familiar-feeling" because of the same neck profile and compound radius fretboard, because up until that point my Soloist was my main guitar and I was most accustomed to it.

I see zero concerns with that eBay ad. Assuming you live in Canada like the seller does, CAD$380 (shipping included) is a "fair enough" price.
                Wow that's a beautiful guitar!

Yeah I think $300 is fair, the pickup alone is $80 or so.

I like the neck on my MIM Charvel so I assume I'd like the Model 1 neck for sure.

Comment

Necks on model series guitars are fairly glossy. I dont know what the mim charvels are like. But its nothing some steel wool wont solve if its a problem for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                    Necks on model series guitars are fairly glossy. I dont know what the mim charvels are like. But its nothing some steel wool wont solve if its a problem for you.
                    The MIM necks are an oil finish, so basically feels like bare wood.

I am also wondering what size fret wire these Model 1 guitars use compared to Dunlop 6100? I can't find any info on that.

Comment

Working...
                    X