No announcement yet.

Bling machine Charvel Star in sexy trans blue and EMG 81's burning my face off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bling machine Charvel Star in sexy trans blue and EMG 81's burning my face off

...err so... Back when Guitar Center was blowing out the Charvel Stars, I walked in (Forgive me father for I have sinned) and saw one picked it up, hated the color, hated the binding, but wanted a star and it doesn't play bad at all, feel nice enough. but it's just, how do I put this gently? About as attractive as a wart infested mole with puss squirting out around the long two inch hair sticking out from it.

Ok, maybe not that pretty, but you know. So I have it on a stand in my bedroom because, cases what? And I have been staring at it for over a year (well more then that) my arm injury happen last year so it's been a while since I have even plugged this thing in. I keep looking at it, kind of like an adult step child that you just don't know if you want to kick out of the house or date on the side (Ok that was wrong, an adult step child should have already moved the fuck out)

(Sorry it's been a long day) so anyway I am thinking of contacting Daneen Bronson and see if she's doing custom paint again (She stopped for a while do to child birth, something about breathing in paint fumes while pregnant.. you knw..

So here's the idea (and I'll try to be serious now)

I want to fill the neck pickup cavity (don't need it, don't want it) change the selector switch for a kill switch or leave it as it and use the one thats in there as a kill switch, dunno. but anyway, have her do a customer rust graphic. can't do anything about the shitting binding on the next and headstock, but such is life.

Any suggestions on what to use to fill the cavity? Bondo, wood filler?
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

that sounds cool. I'd think you'd want to fill the pickup cavity with the same kind of wood that the body is made out of, so that it will expand and contract the same. Even then though, you may see some settling and hints of the outline of the filled cavity could still appear through the paint. Unless you veneer the top. In which case it probably matters less what you actually fill the cavity with
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I know what you mean about those Desolation stars. I've played a couple of the neck thru versions and just didn't care for how they played. In addition, the bling with the abalone binding and EMG pickups did nothing for me so I just couldn't pull the trigger on one. But a couple years ago I did find a NOS DST-3 star that had been sitting around in a small music store and got it for a great price. The bolt one neck feels and plays much better than any of the neck thru models that I played. The only complaint was - it was black. I'm not a fan of black guitars so I had the body repainted in Crown Royal metallic purple. Now that guitar looks so much better. The metallic purple with the black chrome hardware works well. So I feel your pain about the factory colors. I'll try to post a pic of the body to show you, just need to set up (and figure out) a new photo hosting account on imgur or something.

As for filling in the neck pickup, I'm also a fan of single hum guitars and have had a few projects where I've had a neck pickup route filled. I haven't done it personally but I sent guitars to Lee at GMW to have it done. The route gets filled with a block of wood and then sanded down. Lee then puts a thin maple vaneer over the entire top to cover up the seems. He's told me that over time, the paint and top coat will shrink and show off the seem of the pick up route. By adding the thin vaneer, it provides a smooth surface and hides the edge of the old pickup route so you won't have anything showing through down the road. If you're going to invest some money into a refin with a nice paint or graphic, I'd suggest looking into something like this.

Comment

Here's a pic of my Charvel star after it was repainted in CRM purple. Guess I haven't taken any pics of it yet reassembled.

Last edited by Johnnyryche; 09-28-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

And here's a pic of a KE3 that I had GMW do some work on. The neck pickup was filled and the maple vaneer was added. Lee also kept the contours of the bevels with this top.

Comment

Good looking work!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
              Here's a pic of my Charvel star after it was repainted in CRM purple. Guess I haven't taken any pics of it yet reassembled.

Damn, that looks really nice! I may have to go that route. I actually like the neck feel, mostly. As far as imports go it's not horrible, but it's most of an eye sore then the playability. maybe I did that purple, hmm, I wonder how mine would look in burgundy
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Finally remembered to take some pics of my purple star this weekend. Here it is all assembled. The pics still don't show off the sparkles from the metallic paint but you get the general idea.

Comment

Red Snakeskin!!

...with a cock dragon...

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Red Snakeskin!!

...with a cock dragon...
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                    X