Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 6: Kahler versus JT6? Blue-purple flip-flop paint scheme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 6: Kahler versus JT6? Blue-purple flip-flop paint scheme?

I spotted a 1986 Charvel Model 6 (Kahler-equipped) in a local consignment store for CAD$500 (about USD$400).

I'm fairly certain it's a 1986 model since since Kahlers were only offered in 1986, with the JT6 offered from 1987-onwards.

I ran a search and only found the age-old debate of Kahler versus Floyd, but not specifically Kahler versus JT6. I've neither played a Kahler nor a JT6. Given a preference, would you prefer one over the other? Speaking for myself, intuition tells me to prefer the JT6 version, simply because I could always replace the JT6 with an OFR without modifications. But I'm sure there are fans of the Kahler-equipped Model Series. What say you?

On to point #2, the finish. The guitar is in excellent condition except for a tiny bit of paint missing at the headstock tip. I've never seen this finish before and I can't find it anywhere in Google Images, but it is a dark blue (definitely not cobalt blue) that had a slight flip-flop to purple at certain angles. I didn't inspect the guitar closely enough to determine whether the finish was original, but it seemed original only because it didn't have any obvious faults unless it was a VERY well done refinish. What say you?

Sounds like a refin to me, maybe you can beat the guy up over that and get it down even more. I don't mind Kahlers, but some of the old ones can be a pain to clean up. If I absolutely had to choose between them I'd take the JT6.

Comment

Got a link by chance? Or which place? I don't see it on the usual consignment store for musicians site...hah

I've never tried the Kahler but I do have a couple JT6-s, fine trems. 86s do tend to grab a few extra dollars though, so price aint bad depending.

Comment

You know which local store it is. Regrettably, they aren't the best at updating their online inventory. They have a few guitars in the store that they still haven't uploaded to their website, even a month or two later.

I should have taken some photos of the Model 6. I need to visit the store again later this week so I'll share photos if I make it down there before you do.

Comment

I love the '86 Kahler Model 6s, I've had mine for over 30 years now! I'm always on the lookout for a good one.

Is JT-6 to OFR a straight swap?
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
            Is JT-6 to OFR a straight swap?
            Yes, with a small caveat (use the existing JT6 studs or be prepared to dowel the holes and redrill for the smaller OFR studs): http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...roject.htm#jt6

Comment

I visited the store. Here are some quick cellphone photos. Very difficult to capture the blue flip-flopping to purple since it's not that dramatic, but it does exist at very extreme angles. The paint looks too damn good and "original-looking" to be a refinish, but I won't discount the possibility that it's a refin. Without being able to look at the paint inside the electronics cavity or underneath the tremolo, it would be difficult to determine.

But I do have some small doubts. Like I said previously, I've never seen this finish offered on a Model Series before. The headstock logo also looks slightly crooked... I normally see the logo parallel with the bottom edge of the headstock. But again, the way everything is finished looks too "original"...

The hangtag claims the guitar is from 1987, even though I trusted my previous knowledge of Kahlers only being on 1986 Model Series. The serial number is not on the 24th fret overhang as you might expect with a neckthru Jackson/Charvel that I'm accustomed to seeing, but is on the back of the headstock and says C700410, which according to Henrik's site (http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...rt-guitars.php), the C7 prefix means 1987. Must be early 1987 since Henrik's paragraph mentions switching to 24th fret serial number stamping in mid-1987. So, I suppose Kahlers were offered on guitars from 1986 to some point in 1987. The serial number is unmolested and in the same typeface and format as the photo shown on Henrik's site.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that the guitar's finish is original... but an uncommon finish and has a crooked headstock logo that threw me off.

Full sized images: https://imgur.com/a/mZDZJ

And since I know nothing about Kahlers, even after 17 years of guitar ownership, I started doing some research on Youtube and see this gem of a video series from Gary Kahler, explaining how his tremolo system works. I'm surprised by how impressed I am with the design of his system, and am no longer intimidated by it. How did this bridge basically elude me for 17 years? I can basically set up any Floyd-type guitar confidently and quickly, but the Kahler looks even faster to set up.

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QQXti9k3iw

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl1BjBU0jng
              Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-26-2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

definitely looks cobalt blue to me
                At that price and in that condition I'd THROW the money at the store and run out with the guitar before they realized it was stolen at that price.
                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I've seen Soloist Std.s at lower prices that have JT590 trems which I would prefer, but at least I'm no longer intimidated by the Kahler. The store also has a Charvel Fusion Custom for the same price, similar condition. They originally listed it as a Model 4 but I quickly sent them an e-mail to inform them it's a Fusion Custom, which they corrected immediately.

I was originally deceived by Google Images into thinking the Model 6 wasn't cobalt blue because of Reverb listings like these that are labeled as cobalt blue and are a much lighter shade than my local guitar:

https://reverb.com/item/453223-charv...88-cobalt-blue

https://reverb.com/item/2208612-char...88-cobalt-blue

But now I see there are other, much darker Model Series guitars also labeled as cobalt blue that better match my local guitar:

https://reverb.com/item/549908-charv...-original-case

https://reverb.com/item/3631715-jack...-blue-metallic

The two shades of Model Series cobalt blues above aren't what I picture in my mind when I think of "cobalt blue". Chavel's current "satin cobalt blue" is more faithful to the shade that I picture in my head when I think of "cobalt blue".

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/pro-m...n-cobalt-blue/

My idea of cobalt blue:
                  Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Looks like cobalt blue to me.

I wouldn't say Kahlers are easier to set up. I love being able to just twist the bass or treble Floyd posts for a quick action adjustment. On a Kahler, each saddle has an individual height adjustment (not to mention side-to-side). So if you aren't careful you can mess up the radius and have to wrestle getting it back where it was. That said, if you have the right patient mindset you can really fine tune the shit out of your action.

Comment

Individual saddle height adjustments are OK with me, since a Fender-style hardtail or Fender-style fulcrum tremolo all have individually-adjustable saddles. I can always fall back on my set of radius gauges to help me, though I do tend to eyeball and adjust according to action/feel on each individual string, and then verified with the radius gauges afterwards.

I do agree that Floyd action is quick and easy

Comment

Sounds like a home run then. I have four Kahler'ed Jacksons and counting.

Comment

My favorite guitar is a Model 5 with a Kahler and its serial number is 700026 so I think you're right that some early 87 Model 5/6's had Kahlers. Probably made enough to deplete their stock of Kahlers.

Comment

Got a Model 5 with a Kahler and a couple of 6's with the JT-6. One got swapped to a Gotoh. Personally, I prefer the Kahler as it's not made out of pot-metal. Oh yes one of my sixes has a locking nut from factory so they were definitely experimenting with stuff back then.
                            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Kahler Pro all the way. My favorite bridge!!

Comment

Working...
                              X