No announcement yet.

Replaced Floyd Rose with Gotoh GE 1996T in my San Dimas Pro Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the Second OFR to Gotoh Install.

I received it yesterday, installed it, tweaked the claw, post height, truss rod etc...I let it settle over night, tweaked it just a bit today, and it is now purring like a kitten and screaming like a demon.

This bridge just makes this guitar into a monster player, a real shred machine.

There is just something about the design of the Gotoh Bridge vs the OFR that allows for lower action with less tension on the strings. ie: the guitar just plays better, for me at least. Not only does the trem seem smoother in operation, but the playability is smoother, bends require less effort etc...Perhaps this is a function of cutting my teeth on Gotoh bridges for so many years, that has to be taken into account for sure. Perhaps Im just getting better at setting up Floyd'd guitars too.

After all is said and done, these 2 MIM Charvels are a real treat to play.

Any way heres a few pics for posterity.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by ZeroFiveFour; 09-30-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Love how both your tobacco sunburst guitars have well-matched hardware color choices. Smoky chrome (cosmo black) trem and controls with zebra pickups on the first guitar, and all black trem/controls/pickups on the second guitar.

Do you have them in different tunings or with different string gauges? Notice how they're both the "same" guitar with the "same" bridge, yet the speaking lengths of the strings are different on both guitars. On the first guitar, the saddles are neatly aligned, while on the second guitar, the saddles have the "stagger" effect. I see this on my own "duplicate" guitars too, even when they're set up with the same strings and in the same tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        Love how both your tobacco sunburst guitars have well-matched hardware color choices. Smoky chrome (cosmo black) trem and controls with zebra pickups on the first guitar, and all black trem/controls/pickups on the second guitar.

Do you have them in different tunings or with different string gauges? Notice how they're both the "same" guitar with the "same" bridge, yet the speaking lengths of the strings are different on both guitars. On the first guitar, the saddles are neatly aligned, while on the second guitar, the saddles have the "stagger" effect. I see this on my own "duplicate" guitars too, even when they're set up with the same strings and in the same tuning.
        Thanks a lot for the compliments, I appreciate it. I like the looks too. When I went for the all black hardware, on the second guitar, I wasn't sure exactly what the finished product would be, but I really like it. The smoked chrome/cosmo black guitar came stock with that hardware.

Guitars:

Both are identical, same strings, tuning, etc...except for the Bridge pickup, one has a JB, the other an RTM, both Seymour Duncan

The speaking lengths:

Both bridges being from the same manufacturer, purchased from the same distributer came as you see them. I have not adjusted the intonation just yet. Believe it or not, they are both surprisingly, very very close at this point. I'm going to let them settle for another week, and then do any necessary Intonation.

After I do the intonation, I'll post again.

Thanks again and Cheers,

Tom
        Last edited by ZeroFiveFour; 09-30-2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Finished Intonating both today.

The weather has been shifting from Summer, (hot and dry-as-heck), to Fall, (less hot and wet-as-heck).

I wanted to wait till the guitars were settled in with regard to the neck/bridge before I did the intonation. I have very low action on these 2 guitars. A slight humidity shift, which has been happening daily for the last 2 weeks here, can require a bit of a truss rod turn.

Cheers,

Tom

Comment

Are the Gotoh`s the same length as the O. Floyd`s or are the a little shorter front to back? The O. Floyd seams to be a little longer but that could just be me.

Comment

Working...
            X