Charvel So Cal 2017 Pro Mod review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel So Cal 2017 Pro Mod review

I figured I'd post my thoughts on this guitar as there are some questions I wanted to know before I bought it that I didn't see answered in many places.

I'll start with the Floyd Rose, it has an FRT-02000, which I thought for sure I'd have to replace with the German Schaller, which I do have in my Jackson Adrian Smith. I was wrong. I can't knock this thing out of tune, even with the most extreme dive bombs and I do use the bar a lot. After I set the spring tension the way I wanted it, I tuned it, it's been about a week, still in tune. I do feel that the fine tuners aren't as high quality and smooth as the Schaller German Rose. However, it's not a problem or anything. The ONE problem it does have is the bar, the bar will not stay put. I had to put a Schaller bar from my Jackson it, which fit great, and now it does not move. So, Charvel should look into informing the Korean Floyd Rose company that the bars are not great. But that's a small thing, if you don't have one, they don't cost much.

Big surprise was the neck. I didn't actually think it would feel this good. I have owned expensive guitars, I was a Les Paul guy for most of my life, and I've owned some nice shredder guitars as well. IMO this is the perfect neck for both Shred and other things. The compound radius feels really nice.

Seymour Duncan Distortions: Flat out amazing. The coil tap makes it even more amazing. On the neck pickup if I coil tap it, that single coil does give me a clean tone that I am more than satisfied with. I do not have to take out my Fender Strat every time I want to record a clean tone. This guitar really can do... well everything, really well.

Truss road adjustment being at the heel of neck with dual graphite truss rods for stability. Obviously this will be tested over time but it's nice to not have to take off the neck to adjust it like the Adrian Smith Jackson So Cal I have.

Recessed vs non Recessed: My Jackson has an original Floyd Rose that is not recessed like the Charvel. The only difference I notice is the feel of it. You can't actually bend up more because it's recessed. I can bend up the same amount on the non recessed. Although, it being recessed seems to make it feel less stiff, your hand is in a different position. I felt that it probably wouldn't be as stable but it actually is. It's hard to knock my Jackson with Original Rose out of tune, but I can knock it out of tune before I can the Charvel. Both of them are extremely hard to knock out though.

Tuning keys seem more solid than I thought they would be. The Jackson tuning keys aren't great, the Charvel ones seem better made.

I can't really imagine the USA custom version being any better than this. If it is, it has to be very subtle. This guitar is an absolute steal for 899$

Your Thoughts are basically mine.
    I own 2 of them one San Dimas Hard Tail and One So Cal. I find them to be the very best value in guitars today. What they can do , how they feel, how they sound, how damn good they stay in tune is simply top notch. I can't even consider asking anymore out of a $899 guitar. I expected less and got way more.

Comment

Working...
    X