750xl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750xl

Can someone help me identify if the 750XL looks all original ( the pick ups are bare knuckle nailbombs). Is there any issues with the bridge - one guy told me it looks like there may be issues with the bridge intonation and a Allen bolt not holding...he said
    "Near as I can tell looking at pix on s phone, the bridge saddles for the bass strings appear to set way forward, or perhaps pulled forward by string temsion. How do I know this? Experience with a Charvel Spectrum,"

What do you guys make of the guitar in the pics...

https://imgur.com/a/SgcEd

The saddles do look funny when so far forward, but the location of each saddle varies depending on a number of factors, including string gauge, tuning, neck relief, and action. Intonation settings are established close to the end of a complete Floyd setup procedure. It might very well be that the guitar is perfectly intonated with the saddles in their current location. But there is still plenty of available "travel distance" for the saddles, so no worries.

From a visual standpoint, I see nothing wrong, issue-wise, with the bridge. If/when you buy the guitar, you're probably going to want to set up the guitar to your own preferences (string gauge, tuning, neck relief and action) anyway. If one of the allen bolts is not holding, it can be replaced with relative ease. An allen bolt replacement is very low on the "worry scale" as far as issues go. More of concern are things like the trem posts and knife edges being in good condition.

The bridge is a JT590, made by Schaller.

The 750XL is a highly desirable Charvel. If it's affordable, go get it if you can.

Reference link: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...0xl-guitar.htm
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      The saddles do look funny when so far forward, but the location of each saddle varies depending on a number of factors, including string gauge, tuning, neck relief, and action. Intonation settings are established close to the end of a complete Floyd setup procedure. It might very well be that the guitar is perfectly intonated with the saddles in their current location. But there is still plenty of available "travel distance" for the saddles, so no worries.

From a visual standpoint, I see nothing wrong, issue-wise, with the bridge. If/when you buy the guitar, you're probably going to want to set up the guitar to your own preferences (string gauge, tuning, neck relief and action) anyway. If one of the allen bolts is not holding, it can be replaced with relative ease. An allen bolt replacement is very low on the "worry scale" as far as issues go. More of concern are things like the trem posts and knife edges being in good condition.

The bridge is a JT590, made by Schaller.

The 750XL is a highly desirable Charvel. If it's affordable, go get it if you can.

Reference link: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...0xl-guitar.htm

Is that the model Schaller bridge that would have originally came with this guitar?

How do I know if the knife edges and trim posts are in good condition?

Comment

Yeah, visually looks fine. You'll find out when you go to intonate it what adjustments it needs. It ALMOST looks like the bolts could just not have been tightned enough so the saddles are just pushing against it. Or that could be where it intonated. Or it could be in a terrible need of an intonation adjustment haha. Visually though looks fine.

As for your buddys comment, you know, the guy with experience in the Charvel spectrum the bridge saddles are not SET way forward, in fact, they can go forward quite a bit more. However, I do agree they could be being pulled forward. You can see where some of them had been previously set.

I own 3 Charvel's, all with the same string guage and tuning, and their saddles are all in different positions.

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
          As for your buddys comment, you know, the guy with experience in the Charvel spectrum the bridge saddles are not SET way forward, in fact, they can go forward quite a bit more.
          I think OP was referring to the E/A/D saddles normally being staggered further back, due to the need for the bass strings to have more speaking length for more accurate intonation. Less like the OP's photos where the E/A/D are aligned with each other, and more like the diagram below:

Comment

One possibility and a common one at that, the thread in the base plate is stripped on that high E hence the locking screw is loose and the saddle is pulled forward from the string tension.

Comment

My 750XL also has what looks to be a strange intonation setup. Maybe something about these guitars?

Comment

You can't intonate a guitar based on a diagram.

Trans top 750xl's sound better and fetch more money.

The pickups are obviously not original.

I don't know how to tell if knife edges are worn by looking at a picture that doesn't show them. You need to inspect that in person... does my car need a tune up? Would it help if I took a picture of the engine comparment? lol
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Julz View Post
                  One possibility and a common one at that, the thread in the base plate is stripped on that high E hence the locking screw is loose and the saddle is pulled forward from the string tension.
                  This is what came to mind for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Julz View Post
                    In which case, there aren't many options except replacing the tremolo
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Or it just intonates funny. It is short scale.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                      X