Fair price for These

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair price for These

Hey guys! I've found some Import Charvels and a Charvette for sale.
    I'd appreciate it if you could help me pay the right price without lowballing the seller.
    Looks like two of them are Model 2 and one is Model 3A, and I'm not sure about the Charvette, so please correct me on the models.

Please keep in mind :
    -They don't come with hard case
    -Condition is not mint, but only contain the usual tiny scratches and very small dings here and there
    -Red has a Jackson bridge, but it's not a JT-6. White has a Floyd rose. Black has a Floyd rose Special. Charvette has a no-name bridge.

Here are pictures :

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Koronerica; 07-04-2017, 09:12 PM.

What is the seller asking for them? That would make it easier for us to give you an idea. Realistically. Any Model 2 or 3 you can get for $400.00 is a steal if you ask me. The black Model 2 body has a Model 1 neck on it, the red Model 3, and the white Model 2 have what looks like Floyd lock nuts added. The Charvette wouldn't be real high on my list, but if you have to take it as a group sale then it is what it is.

My opinion with the group being what it is, I'd pay at most $800.00 for the group.

ETA: red sure looks to have a JT-6 on it in the picture to my eyes.

Comment

Spacing of the 3-way toggle and Tone knob on the red one looks funny. May be a Model 2 that was modded for a neck pickup and extra controls.

Model 2s usually stay pretty high, as long as they're structurally sound. Chips and dings and pocket finish cracks are not an issue. Split wood is an issue.

I'd call $500-$550 fair for both the buyer and seller for the White, even with the added (improvement) Floyd nut, and the OFR bridge.

Black one with non-locking nut (not even the Kahler-style) would only be $450-$500: penalty for the neck swap, but it is still a good neck, and has an OFR bridge.

Assuming the Red one is a Model 3 and not a modded Model 2, I'd say $500 minimum unless the frets were beat to shit. Model 2s in Red are hard to find, and could go up to $700 in decent shape, so modding one means "one less fish in the sea". They're great EVH 5150 Starters because of the Red, but adding a neck hum also takes that away.
      As well, the Black and White Model 2s make great EVH base kits, so those usually go higher than the Metallic Blue or whatever other colors they had.

Could also be a Predator that has had the neck single routed to full-size and the neck swapped, but still, those controls look funny to me. Could be the angle.

I wouldn't even bother with the Charvette. Only model in that line worth having was the Tele-shaped thinline acoustic jobby. The "solidbodies" were plywood, and not very good plywood. If you've got a kid wanting a learner, give him a Model 2. No sense starting off with a POS when you don't have to.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Since Razor and Newc identified virtually all the peculiarities, I only have a few observations to add.

1) Red Charvel has a Jackson JT6 bridge but the saddles have lost their little "flat cover plates". See advertisement below:

2) Personally, out of the four guitars, the most desirable guitar is the mostly-unmolested white Charvel Model 2/Model 1 mutt. A Model 2 with a maple fretboard doesn't exist in stock form, so having a Model 1 neck with a professionally-installed Floyd locknut (I'm assuming it's cleanly done) is nice to have. CAD$300 would be fair for that one alone, CAD$400 maximum, but I'm known on this forum as a lower-priced Canadian bargain hunter. A package deal for all four guitars, CAD$800 maximum if all guitars are structurally sound with good frets.

3) The black Charvel Model 2/Model 1 mutt will need a locking nut installed to complete the whole double-locking system. That will be additional money spent on your part, unless you block the Floyd.

4) The red Charvel Model 2/Model 1 mutt is ready to rock like the white guitar, but I agree with Newc that the neck pickup, 3-way toggle, and extra potentiometer have been added, which to me are not necessarily upgrades unless you consider these modifications desirable.

Good luck. Keep us updated. Always nice to see deals happening in Canada.
        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 07-04-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

how many model 2's came with maple fret board necks! none as far as I know, but for some the maple fret board is a plus and cost more to buy because they only came on a couple of models like the model 1 and 3m. it will all depend on what you like. I am not a fan of maple fret boards so they are not worth buying to me. If you like maple boards, you will not find many model 2's with them so they would be worth what ever you want to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
            What is the seller asking for them? That would make it easier for us to give you an idea.
            I'm sure he has some numbers in mind, but I have to come up with a realistic price since he's not really aware of what he has (he's not into guitars and all, and he has inherited a large collection of guitars including these Charvels.
            So, he is simply selling them to make some cash.)

The black Model 2 body has a Model 1 neck on it, the red Model 3, and the white Model 2 have what looks like Floyd lock nuts added.
            Thanks! I know A LOT about Jacksons but nothing on Charvels, so that helped me a lot!

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Spacing of the 3-way toggle and Tone knob on the red one looks funny. May be a Model 2 that was modded for a neck pickup and extra controls.
            I'll make sure to take a picture to confirm if the tone knob was added.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            I'd call $500-$550 fair for both the buyer and seller for the White, even with the added (improvement) Floyd nut, and the OFR bridge.
            Black one with non-locking nut (not even the Kahler-style) would only be $450-$500: penalty for the neck swap, but it is still a good neck, and has an OFR bridge.
            I have to see these in person to confirm if it's an OFR or a shitty one like FRT-2000. Again, the black one has a FL Special installed, which is a downgrade IMO

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            A package deal for all four guitars, CAD$800 maximum if all guitars are structurally sound with good frets.
            My opinion with the group being what it is, I'd pay at most $800.00 for the group.
            I think that's a good number!

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            1) Red Charvel has a Jackson JT6 bridge but the saddles have lost their little "flat cover plates".
            ETA: red sure looks to have a JT-6 on it in the picture to my eyes.
            Here's a closer picture the seller sent me:

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
            how many model 2's came with maple fret board necks! none as far as I know, but for some the maple fret board is a plus and cost more to buy because they only came on a couple of models like the model 1 and 3m.
            Thanks for the info!

Thanks a lot guys! I will see these (and his other guitars) in the next few days and will update you.

Comment

Definitely a JT-6. Just has Floyd string locks instead of JT-6 string locks.

Comment

+1 to everything here. Also, don't underestimate the value added by having floyd nuts and not the behind the nut locking ones...not necessarily $$ wise, but in terms of your sanity, big upgrade imo.

Comment

Working...
                X