New SKB Charvel Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SKB Charvel Case?

Has anyone tried putting in a late 80s/early 90s Charvel in one of the new SKB Charvel cases?

I've been wanting to get one instead of the Tweed Charvel case I have for my 375 Deluxe as the tweed case is a bit flimsy.

Anyone tried it out? Looks like the pointy headstock could be an issue?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/009091...-skb-hard-case

I just tried it with my Model 1C in to that exact case (which came with my Japanese So-Cal). The headstock does not fit, and the lid for the case will not close.

That case does fit other straight-pull headstock superstrats though, like the Ibanez RG. I've tried and it works.

The case you want for a Jackson/Charvel superstrat with a drooped headstock is the generic version that SKB makes, called the 1SKB-66. Here is a JCFer who purchased a 1SKB-66 for their Pro-Mod (straight headstock, I know): http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...ecommendations. It won't have the Charvel brand on the outside, and it has an open compartment rather than a closed compartment for your goodies, but it's similar and has a wider headstock area. http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...ffset=&c=75&s=

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 06-06-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      I just tried it with my Model 1C in to that exact case (which came with my Japanese So-Cal). The headstock does not fit, and the lid for the case will not close.

That case does fit other straight-pull headstock superstrats though, like the Ibanez RG. I've tried and it works.

The case you want for a Jackson/Charvel superstrat with a drooped headstock is the generic version that SKB makes, called the 1SKB-66. Here is a JCFer who purchased a 1SKB-66 for their Pro-Mod (straight headstock, I know): http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...ecommendations. It won't have the Charvel brand on the outside, and it has an open compartment rather than a closed compartment for your goodies, but it's similar and has a wider headstock area. http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...ffset=&c=75&s=

Very good information. If I were the OP I would just buy this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-Charve...MAAOSwuMZZKwQL

Comment

I have an unhealthy interest in cases and ideally I'd like to match every one of my caseless/orphaned guitars to its "proper" case if I can find them. Many players hang their guitars on the wall and display them proudly, but I'm the type who avoids humidity, dryness, climate fluctuations, and my own clumsiness on my guitars by keeping them in cases in a closet when they're not in use. So you can understand why I have an admiration for cases.

If I could track one down cheaply/locally, that Charvel chainsaw case would be the perfect, period-correct case for my Model 1C, but currently the guitar sleeps in a Yorkville YEC-6H generic teardrop case that does a merely adequate but mostly sloppy job of fitting "traditional" electric guitar shapes like Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, PRSs, etc.

Here are the pics I meant to share earlier of my Model 1C unable to fit in the Charvel-branded SKB case (meant for a Strathead or similar straight-pull headstock like an Ibanez) due to inadequate headstock room for the droopy Charvel/Jackson headstock. Sure, you can try peeling off the fuzzy lining, carving away at the foam to accommodate more headstock room, and then re-gluing the fuzzy lining, but why bother? Just get a case with more headstock room like the 1SKB-66 I linked in Post #2 above, or the chainsaw case that Razor linked.

In the background of the first pic, you can see the closet full of cases that I mentioned in my first paragraph.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I have both the Charvel-logoed and generic SKB cases mentioned. They are very similar but the generic SKB is a bit thinner in width compared to the Charvel. But both of these are for form fitting for full strat guitars. The 375 Deluxe is more of a dinky shape. It will fit into these cases, but won't be form fitting. It will be loose and swim about.

You might want to look into the Jackson version of this case, which is form fitting for soloists/dinkys, and should more than accommodate the pointy headstock:
          https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/299610...or-dinky-shape

I *think* it would fit best in one of these.
          I don't have one of these, but would like to pick one up at some point.

I'm a bit case happy myself. I like hard cases, but am intrigued with these lightweight canvas over foam cases and better quality gig bags. If anyone has any experience with these, let me know.

Originally posted by Larsson View Post
          Has anyone tried putting in a late 80s/early 90s Charvel in one of the new SKB Charvel cases?

I've been wanting to get one instead of the Tweed Charvel case I have for my 375 Deluxe as the tweed case is a bit flimsy.

Anyone tried it out? Looks like the pointy headstock could be an issue?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/009091...-skb-hard-case
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Those are all over ebay all the time, as well as the chainsaw cases. I have both Charvel and Jackson logo SKBs, and they are top notch. Although bulky, I like how they put a little extra real estate between your guitar and the cold, cruel world out there compared to the smaller chainsaw cases.

Although it is fun to confuse some people however with my chainsaw cases, which all have Husqvarna stickers.
            '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
            '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
            '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
            '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
            '90 Charvel 475 XL
            '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
            Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
            Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
            Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm in the UK and have never seen a chainsaw case for sale here. If I was to get one I would want the black ones with the 89/90/91 spaghetti logo of the 375, those I have only seen for sale once online whilst looking and not in the UK.

The Jackson SKB case seems like it would be the best fit given the dinky shape of the 375, however I'm a bit hesitant to get a case which says Jackson on for my Charvel (silly I know).

The 1SKB-66 case seems like a great option, good price and what I'm looking for in protection, however if it does not form fit too well then maybe it's not the ideal option...

Comment

The 1SKB-66 case seems like a great option, good price and what I'm looking for in protection, however if it does not form fit too well then maybe it's not the ideal option...
                As I mentioned before, the Charvel SKB (which is for a full-sized Strat body) fits the Ibanez RG just fine, without the RG shifting around.

And we know the RG is a superstrat style body like the Dinky/375, smaller and slimmer than a full-sized Strat.

So I can extrapolate that the 1SKB-66 should also fit a Dinky/375 body without shifting around. And if it does shift, the simplest solution is to fill in the gap with a small rolled-up towel to provide extra padding.

If you wish to see them, I can take more photos tonight of various superstrats in my Charvel SKB case, and I can report back on how much each guitar shifts around inside.

Comment

As I mentioned before, the Charvel SKB (which is for a full-sized Strat body) fits the Ibanez RG just fine, without the RG shifting around.

And we know the RG is a superstrat style body like the Dinky/375, smaller and slimmer than a full-sized Strat.

So I can extrapolate that the 1SKB-66 should also fit a Dinky/375 body without shifting around. And if it does shift, the simplest solution is to fill in the gap with a small rolled-up towel to provide extra padding.

If you wish to see them, I can take more photos tonight of various superstrats in my Charvel SKB case, and I can report back on how much each guitar shifts around inside.
                  Checking the SKB website it does list Jackson Dinky Series as a tested and fitting shape in the case which should mean the 375 and similar Charvel guitars would fit as well, correct?

Comment

I was eventually going to ask what case J/Cs would actually fit in. So thanks, NOTP.

I had a generic case a long time ago that fit but I either lost it in a move or left it at a jam room. The case I have right now is the gator deluxe and the headstock is too deep for it. I just have towels stuffed under the heel and on the neck support area to hold the tip of the headstock up. Works fine, lid closes without any pressure, just wouldn't stack them like that, upright only. I would love to get some chainsaw cases for my Charvels but as I'm sure everyone knows, on the bay they're $80-100 with broken latches and feet.
                    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm in the UK and have never seen a chainsaw case for sale here. If I was to get one I would want the black ones with the 89/90/91 spaghetti logo of the 375, those I have only seen for sale once online whilst looking and not in the UK.

The Jackson SKB case seems like it would be the best fit given the dinky shape of the 375, however I'm a bit hesitant to get a case which says Jackson on for my Charvel (silly I know).
                      If anything, the association with Jackson can only be positive. I use mine interchangeably as they are brothers. The only way I can even remember which case was originally for a certain guitar in some instances is by the the stickers on the outside, which often include one for the aftermarket pickups (if any) in that guitar, or something else relating to the vibe or purpose of that guitar...
                      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                      '90 Charvel 475 XL
                      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

As promised earlier, here are my six types of double cutaway guitars in the Charvel SKB case that came with my 2011 Japanese Charvel So-Cal.

Note: ALL guitar types shift around inside the case. Even the So-Cal, with its full-sized Strat body, has a little bit of wiggle. I was mistaken earlier this morning when I declared that the Ibanez RG does not shift. They ALL shift.

1. First, the Charvel So-Cal in its OHSC as a reference point.

2. Ibanez RG. No surprise, as I already mentioned this earlier in the thread.

3. Schecter C-1. No surprise.

4. Jackson Soloist. The slim Dinky body must somehow allow enough wiggle room for the droopy headstock to fit.

5. ESP Mirage. Similar surprise to the Soloist.

6. Charvel Model 1C, which we know does not fit. It must be because of the combination of full-sized Strat body paired with the droopy headstock.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-07-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

As promised earlier, here are my six types of double cutaway guitars in the Charvel SKB case that came with my 2011 Japanese Charvel So-Cal.

Note: ALL guitar types shift around inside the case. Even the So-Cal, with its full-sized Strat body, has a little bit of wiggle. I was mistaken earlier this morning when I declared that the Ibanez RG does not shift. They ALL shift.
                          Three to one odds he still questions all of your responses so far...

Just sayin'...

Comment

[QUOTE=Number Of The Priest;1663248]As promised earlier, here are my six types of double cutaway guitars in the Charvel SKB case that came with my 2011 Japanese Charvel So-Cal.

thanks so much for those pictures! definitely helps me to make a more informed decision. Interesting that the Jackson Soloist fits into that case, makes me think perhaps the 375 would too...

Really appreciate your input!

Comment

I have a case problem too. Nothing better than a guitar/case combo. I'll hunt down the right case, or even sell the guitar, which happened once, ha ha.

I bought an mint, NOS case from that Ebay seller for the Model 4 I restored, cost a bit, but totally worth it.

With the change to recessed Floyds on the new Charvel guitars, has the case changed at all, or does the original branded SKB case fit both?

Comment

Working...
                              X