Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 5FX

Hey forum,
    This was traded to me a bit back and I've just now found this forum. Anyways I was trade a Charvel 5FX in a burgundy mist-ish color. The person who traded it to me swore he had seen other 5FX with a tone knob. Can anyone confirm this? I've pulled the control plate off and it looks like it was installed before the finish was applied or at the very least installed by a pro.

Pics as shown.

Originally a one-humbucker Model 5A, some got sent back to the factory to have the single coil pickup and switch added, some got tone controls and some didn't.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So this is a 5a or are you saying it's a FX with tone?

Comment

It's a 5FX. It was originally a 5A with only the humbucker.

Comment

ah thank you!

Comment

I'm the weirdo on this one and I much prefer the 5A's but apparently the 5A's didn't sell too well in the 1st half of 1988 so the Charvel/Jackson HQ in Ft. Worth modded a lot of the remaining 5A's into 5FX's. Kind of an interesting story. They didn't come that way from Japan but were modded by the company in Ft. Worth so it's a legit model.

Comment

No problem. I just realized you've got a recessed pull-up route on yours. I can't recall ever seeing that done on them before.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                I'm the weirdo on this one and I much prefer the 5A's but apparently the 5A's didn't sell too well in the 1st half of 1988 so the Charvel/Jackson HQ in Ft. Worth modded a lot of the remaining 5A's into 5FX's. Kind of an interesting story. They didn't come that way from Japan but were modded by the company in Ft. Worth so it's a legit model.
                I loved my old 5A, but wouldn't turn down an FX.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  No problem. I just realized you've got a recessed pull-up route on yours. I can't recall ever seeing that done on them before.
                  Yeah, that's weird. In fact, that route like that was only done in 1989. I love 1989's !!! It has a pull-up route BUT the trem is not recessed into the route............. 1 year only thing. What is the serial number on that guitar ? It's probably a super late 1988 or possibly a 1989.

Comment

Yeah, I remember it being an '89 thing. Really strange.

Comment

Working...
                    X