Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 vs 475 deluxe

At one point in my life I've owned both of these in the 90's
    As my first real guitar was the 475 pearl white back in roughly 1990 ? a half decade later while visiting my buddy & unknown to me he has the model 4 (probably antique white-not sure )forsale (probably an '88) for $160 so i boght it & held on to it for about a year .
    comparing the both had the same electronics (except the model had 3 mini switches compared to the 475 with a 5-way blade BUT the 475 was bound neck & headstock & in my opinion a superior axe ) ,same pickups . the model 4 had a rounder/larger radius body more like a strat & the neck was thicker .
    which i never really bonded with I think the 475 was the king of the bolt on imports from that era .l

I'm with you on this. I think that the 475 was a better guitar, from an overall point of view, than a model 4. However I have to say that the 3 little switches are something that fascinates me and that the model 4 has a more "80s" look overall. So probably I like and play more the 475s, but I love watching a model 4 rather than a 475.
    Creating a Guitar Telegram Group (in English) Guitar Telegram Group

Comment

The 375 was my first "good" guitar, but the 475 was my first GREAT guitar and KEEPER (still have it today....two in fact ). It was definitely a step forward from the Model 4 and had a much better trem and more beautiful cosmetics. My tag team of 475s are some of my main workhorses, especially when I'm doing '80s style prog metal.

It's funny, I recall an early '90s alternative band called The 360s whose guitarist was a big 475 user. Guitars of that style had suddenly become socially toxic overnight as the alternative regime was murdering metal and everything associated with it, so it was brave for him to use the vestige of a suddenly hated bygone era LOL. I bought their album Illuminated in large part because I had never seen any new band use a 475 (and it is a very good album!).
      Last edited by Black Shadow; 06-07-2017, 06:55 PM.
      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
      '90 Charvel 475 XL
      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Hi to all.

I had a strange version of Charvel Model 4 with 475-like body, but without heel scalloping. And still with JT-6 tremolo. Also the classic Charvel logo on its headstock. I would exactly prefer Model 4 but with Strat body because to me it sound and feels more full than dinky. Anyway, there's a little review of my Model 4 on the tube:

Hope you'll enjoy.
        Last edited by N1kk; 06-13-2017, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Of course this just comes down to personal preference, but I will disagree. I prefer the full size strat body, and I like the miniswitches. If you want to say because it has a bound neck I'll let you have that one, but I've got a M6 too..and I still prefer my '87 M4 that I bought new. I've got about 20 Charvel/Jackson gits, and the M4 is my go to without question! I have other guitarists that have never played a Charvel come over and play my M4..."I gotta get one of these...." every time.
          My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Working...
          X