NGD & pics: 2011? Japanese Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal in candy red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD & pics: 2011? Japanese Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal in candy red

In this post (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/145...=1#post1647713) I wondered if there were catalog scans for Japanese Charvel Pro-Mods. It was mostly to confirm colors.

I saw this Japanese So-Cal listed locally for CAD$660 (USD$516 at today's exchange rate), identical in spec to my USA So-Cal in polar white (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...in-polar-white), so I assumed it was one of the earlier Japanese ones with non-recessed OFR, DiMarzio pickups, and mini Grover tuners before they switched to recessed OFR, Duncan pickups, and Charvel-branded tuners.

Came with the original Charvel-branded SKB case (resembles the 1SKB-66 case), trem bar, titanium block (though it looks like brass to me, and I can't picture the seller including a >$400 titanium block with a $660 guitar) and trem stopper presumably from FU-Tone, and EVH D-Tuna. I'm new to the trem stopper and D-Tuna so I don't know if they add value at this point. Still, the guitar is practically mint with zero fretwear, with one very tiny divot in the clearcoat on the front of the body, and basically indistinguishable from my USA So-Cal regarding playability, sound, and quality.

The seller sanded the neck and fretboard with some fine-grit sandpaper and it feels very raw and frictionless. I thought I did well by using steel wool on the neck and fretboard of my USA but time will tell whether I prefer the sanded neck or the steelwooled neck.

One noticeable visible distinction is that the USA has a much "whiter" maple neck/fretboard while the Japan's maple is much "yellower".

As confirmed by the original documentation, it's Candy Red, not Ferrari Red.

I think it's from 2011 based on the serial number, as seen in the photos below.

Prior to April 2016, I've never touched a Charvel before. Since then, I now own three of them, eclipsing the number of Jacksons I've ever owned (two). I should stop buying stuff I don't need, and instead focus on playing.

No pics of the neck heel and neck pocket, since this guitar was clean and set up so well that I didn't need to take it apart and work my own magic on it like I usually do.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 06-13-2016, 12:36 PM.

Very cool! You're on a buying spree lately!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was hoping for a Pro-Mod San Dimas next, but I couldn't say no to another nice So-Cal.

It really does help quell GAS by staying away from forums, music stores, gear reviews, classified ads, and already having great guitars for a start. Now that I'm browsing heavily again, temptation is always looming.

Comment

HNGD man! That's a nice one!
        2021 Jackson MJ Series Dinky DKR Ice Blue Metallic
        2016 Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Snow White
        2016 Jackson Pro Rhoads RR3

Comment

I was looking at this too hah I need to get my hands on a MIJ Pro Mod.

congrats!

Comment

Sorry kamanda, I keep scooping up the local Charvels. Thanks for the kind words. We should get together when my life winds down a bit.

This one was listed near midnight one night. Luckily I happened to be browsing and noticed the ad was posted just ten minutes prior. I immediately contacted the seller to set up a meeting for the following evening. We live only five minutes apart.

I should really set up e-mail alerts, but I'm personally checking ads several times a day. I have a sickness.

Comment

I'm glad you are...at least I know where to go when I finally have some $$ for more guitars!

Comment

Ive got the same guitar,its my fav axe.I done alot of research and come to conclusion the jap pro mods are the ones to get.I was not disappointed when it arrived.Had it for a year now and am still lovin it.

Comment

I believe they tinted the necks on the Japanese Pro-mods to make them look "aged".
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Congrats on another nice score.

Comment

Nice!
                      I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                      ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
                      Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
                      Blackstar Soloist HT60
                      Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                      Seymour Duncan 805