What strings do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What strings do you use?

I want to move away from 9-42 strings as I feel they lack in the bottom end.

Picked up a set of NYXL 9-46 and 10-52 that I'm going to try, I think I'll like 9-46. Will have either 9-46 or 10-52 put on when I get my 375 refretted and setup.

Using the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strings at the moment, 8-46. I like the bottom end but the higher strings are just too thin and bend too easily.

What string gauge do you guys use? Should I try 9-46 or 10-52 first?

Why not 10-46? EXL110's are the de facto standard.

Comment

I just use D'Addario 9's. I get them by the 10 pack. Used to get them for $20 out the door, they're a little more than that now.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

D'Addario XL EJ21 Nickel Wound 12-52 for E flat tuning.

Comment

GHS Boomers... 9-46 on my Floyded guitars, 10-52 on my hard tails.
          -Rick

Comment

10-52's in Eb

Comment

sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

I've been messing around with strings for years but I'm starting to thing some of them are not worth the extra money especially when I switch back to Fender Strings and they sound wonderful.
                1) DH TITE FIT strings I'll use 9-42 and 10-46 gauge. I like the 10's but still prefer the 9's overall.
                2) Ernie Ball Cobalts same gauge as above. These are very bright strings and I would only use them on guitars that seem to warm. I like how they growl but can be a bit to bright when clean.
                3) Fender Nickel Plated Steels- go to strings for decades and I always go back to them after any string tour. I had the String club membership at Guitar center which I suggest getting one as it pays for itself quickly. Then you can try out all kinds of strings and see what fits you.

Comment

Used 8-38 SITs for years after quitting playing for a year or so. Changed back to 9-42 last year on both my regular and Eb tuned guitars. Just buy the cheap Dean Markley strings from a large chain CD/DVD/TV store in Oz, as I hate the two remaining music shops in my city. They're not that bright sounding but I don't play out or record anymore, so I don't give a hoot.

Will probably stick with 8-38 + a 52 on my 7 string as the wang is stiff enough without having thicker strings on there........plus I have fanny fingers!!!!

Always loved GHS strings but when I started playing again, SITs were THE bomb. Never had more breaks than with D'Addario....awful strings.
                  Last edited by shramiac; 03-15-2016, 05:42 PM.
                  www.vvforums.com

Comment

9-42 for standard tuning
                    10-46 for half step down tuning

D'addario or Ernie Ball for me.

On my JP6, I recently installed those new Cobalt strings and really like the sound of them.
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                      I just use D'Addario 9's. I get them by the 10 pack. Used to get them for $20 out the door, they're a little more than that now.
                      I haven't seen a price like that in a looooong time.

Comment

elixir 09-46 in Eb on 25.5". i got these little skinny fingers so my vibrato is way better with dental floss strings.

Comment

I like D'Addario and have tried the 9-42, 9-46, and 10-46 looking for a light top with good bass/bottom string tone and feel. Didn't like the 9-46. Strangely the bottom felt and sounded loose and the top sounded very thin.. I stick to 10-46 now and they work good on my Floyd and hardtail guitars. I did try a set of the DR Dime High Voltage strings (I think 10-46) and liked them a lot. But they're a bit expensive to replace on a bunch of guitars for an at home only player like me.
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I think I'm going to give the 9-46 NYXL strings a go first, I've always played 9-42 since I started. Had 10-46 on my SG for a bit and liked that.

8-46 is just too slinky up top for me, my 375 deluxe will get the 9-46 set i think!

Comment

Gauge = 9-42 on my San Dimas, Fusion, and Jem. 10-46 on everything else.
                              I have a D-tuna installed on my San Dimas. I wish it sounded bigger in the low end and not so floppy. I have been considering a 46 for low E.

I have no brand allegiance. My strings last 2.5 shows, regardless the brand. So I buy anything on sale and change them after 2 shows.

Comment

Working...
                              X