Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAD$375 for a Charvel Model 4 - Yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD$375 for a Charvel Model 4 - Yay or nay?

Found this Model 4 on a local classifieds site.

Ad description:

Are you an 80s metal fan? If you answered yes, this 1987 Model 4 could be yours. It only requires a tremolo bar, locking nuts and a truss rod cover. All easily available on EBAY for low cost. I did did replace the back plate and the j50-bc pickup with an original one from another 87 model 4.
    Thoughts? Seems like most Model 4s came with Kahlers, not JT-6s. Also I think this is a later version with sharkfin inlays, since the earlier ones had dot inlays?

Pics below. Thanks in advance.

So $283 USD? I'd do it if the electronics are all working. Case? 1987 had the JT6 and sharkies. It's getting harder to find those pads and plates and shit.

Comment

I'd try and get it down just a touch (350?) due to whats needed (tip: get the new kahler nut, it drops in and is a lower profile design with harder steel). IIRC I got my model for for 250 (needed a little more than this does) and my model 3 for 100 (huge steal there though).

Luckily it's not outrageous like some people ask for them (5-600). Although it has sharky's, the TM on the plate suggests it is an 87. I would go for it.

This is the string lock here:
      https://www.kahlerusa.com/guitar-tre...-lock-standard

Comment

$375 is a fair price. Not a steal, not a rip off.

Comment

I seen this on kijiji and was considering getting it aswell... if I wasn't broke atm

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
            I'd try and get it down just a touch (350?) due to whats needed (tip: get the new kahler nut, it drops in and is a lower profile design with harder steel).
            The Kahler stringlocks don't have the same mounting hole spacing, so they don't "drop in" (by any sane definition). It's that whole SAE versus metric thing. Also they slip just as bad as the JT6, if not worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              The Kahler stringlocks don't have the same mounting hole spacing, so they don't "drop in" (by any sane definition). It's that whole SAE versus metric thing. Also they slip just as bad as the JT6, if not worse.
              Well, call me insane then:
              http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...l-4-easy-peasy

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
                ^^ Yeah so if the OP chooses to take kamanda's advice, take a goooood look at the results first.

Comment

Why are you such a cunt? Ok, so my scalloping job wasn't factory spec, but whats wrong with my stringlock install? It's people like you that cause boards like this to become so baron.

Comment

Ruh roh....

It would appear that those Phillips heads got a bit stripped installing them at the angle. If you have to force something to get it to work, the words "drop in" don't accurately describe the installation.

....and barren.

To the OP...

I would say most Model 4's came with the JT-6. Only the '86 model came with the Kahler, while the '87-'88 came with the JT-6. My M4 with JT-6 is my go to in most situations. I find no fault with the original stringlock either. Has never slipped on me from day one...bought new in '87.
                    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Those were the original screws (well, they were replaced before I bought it), which were already stripped... they have since been replaced and are flush.

I remember why I left here now

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
                        I would say most Model 4's came with the JT-6. Only the '86 model came with the Kahler, while the '87-'88 came with the JT-6.
                        jah. Same years for the dot/sharkfin inlays
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                        X