Chinese Charvel Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Charvel Stars

OK people, give me your honest opinion on these things ? I just absolutely do not buy Chinese guitars. However, I have just about given up on my 15+ year quest to find a nice neck-thru USA Jackson Star. I've been on the hunt for one of these thing forever and have been kicking myself for 13 years now since being given the opportunity back in 2002 to buy a NAMM blue marbelizer neck-thru Jackson Star but passed because I was a cheap bastard.

I have a bolt-on pre-pro Charvel Star and a bolt-on USA Jackson parts mutt Star but no USA neck-thru Custom.

Are these neck-thru Chinese Stars with the EMG's and Floyd Rose 1000 any good ? I remember looking at one at Guitar Center once a few years ago and thinking it was pretty decent for a Chinese guitar but just couldn't get past the "Made in China" on the back of the headstock. The blingy abalone binding didn't help anything either.

I bought one of the non-blingy white ones. It was absolutely horrible, paint and hardware flaws, sounded flat and dead, poor sustain. It was so bad, I literally packed it back up to send for a refund the same day I received it. Truly disappointed.

Other folks have liked their's, though. Maybe I just got a bad one on a poor QC day.

Comment

I didn't buy one of the Stars, but I did buy a Chinese Charvel. It was ok. The neck felt good but was final sanded with like 200 grit so I needed to finish sand it. Cheap production, lots of little cosmetic flaws and really overpriced. It was a beginner's grade guitar at an intermediate level price. I basically gave it to a childhood friend because nobody would buy it. lol

Here's my review of the Charvel DX1 Desolation: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/132...iew?highlight=
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I bought one of the bolt-on models also. I picked up a new one for $300 shipped about a year ago with plans to have it refinned. No complaints about the finish or hardware. The neck is decent, but not like an SD reissue model by any means. I like it, for a $300 guitar. I did get it repainted since then but haven't had time to take pics and post it up.

I've also played one of the neck thru models. I wasn't as impressed with it. Unless you're dead set on a neck through, I'd suggest grabbing a bolt-on. And FYI, I just stopped at my local Guitar Center this morning and they have 2 in stock, a black one for $259 and a white one for $249. Was tempted to grab the white one.

Comment

I got my neck thru when they came out. My only bitch is the hardware discoloration over time. Other than that, it sounds & plays fantastic. So much so i have used it for all the rhythm tracks on my next album. Hasn't needed a set up since i got her.

You may have to settle for 2nd hand as they are discontinued now.

Comment

To clarify, mine was a neck-through.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
              OK people, give me your honest opinion on these things ? I just absolutely do not buy Chinese guitars. However, I have just about given up on my 15+ year quest to find a nice neck-thru USA Jackson Star. I've been on the hunt for one of these thing forever and have been kicking myself for 13 years now since being given the opportunity back in 2002 to buy a NAMM blue marbelizer neck-thru Jackson Star but passed because I was a cheap bastard.

I have a bolt-on pre-pro Charvel Star and a bolt-on USA Jackson parts mutt Star but no USA neck-thru Custom.

Are these neck-thru Chinese Stars with the EMG's and Floyd Rose 1000 any good ? I remember looking at one at Guitar Center once a few years ago and thinking it was pretty decent for a Chinese guitar but just couldn't get past the "Made in China" on the back of the headstock. The blingy abalone binding didn't help anything either.
              I bought one of the blingy blue ones on sale cause it had a nick in the back of the horn, It plays well and sounds as good as you'd expect a guitar with EMG's to sound. I have absolutely no complained on mine. Having said that I saw another one on the wall that didn't look so hot, but I think it was one of the bolt on ones. If you have a chance to play it first, do so. but if you get it cheap it's not like you won't get most of of your money back selling the parts
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

i hat a desolation star the cheaper one hum didnt have it long

Comment

Working...
                X