Some Charvel So Cal Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Charvel So Cal Questions

I just bought a used white 2013 MIM Charvel So Cal. I am new to Charvels and upon further investigation it looks like some of the parts on my guitar may have been changed by the previous owner. First it seams like everyones So Cal's come with an Original Floyd Rose. Mine says "Floyd Rose Special" stamped in the trem. Did any of the Mexican So Cals ever come with the "Special" or did someone change it out?

Also, I opened up the pick guard to check the models of the pickups. I have a Seymour Duncan SH-1N in the neck and a Seymour Duncan TB-14 in the Bridge. I thought they all came with Seymour Duncan Distortions?

Has my Charvel been seriously changed from the original?

Thanks!

I thought all mim Charvels came with FR Specials. I don't really know much about them, sorry.

I have no idea about the pickups... but it's fairly easy to look and see if they've been changed. Check the soldering on the pots and wire lengths.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Fuck if I know. The specs on the Charvel SD 1 HH differed on the Charvel site from what I read elsewhere. I just read a Sweetwater ad that listed Distortions (as does the Charvel site) for the So Cal 1 p'ups but the accompanying video review, done by Chris Cannella has them as JB/'59 and a 1000 Series Floyd (MIK).

Comment

Definitely should be a MIK Floyd Original, 1000 series. Not sure about the PUs.

Comment

Isn't the MIK the Floyd Special? /confused

Comment

Here is a picture of my FR Special. You can see the "Special" stamped into the metal. Just wondering if anyone elses So-Cal or San Dimas has this tremolo. Or if the previous owner changed out the better one(Floyd Rose Original?) for this Special before he sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              The Floyd special has die cast Zinc saddles, and some other cheaper parts I believe.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Your So Cal should definitely have the 1000 series MIK Original Floyd and not a Floyd Special. My So Cal came with two Duncan Distortions and I believe the MIM So Cals have since inception. Sound like someone pulled a fast one on you, especially that bridge.
                Good deals with:
                Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  No. The MIK or 1000 series is the version, in both quality and price, between the Special and the Original.

Comment

lol, my mistake. I'm not familiar with the junky stuff. I only use ofr or gotohs.

Comment

Cork sniffer. LOL

(It's not junky. Basically the same as an OFR, minor differences.)

Comment

I paid $550 for my used 2013 Pro Mod So-Cal 2H. I probably paid too much now that I know the factory Floyd was changed out with the "Special". Also the pickups were changed out too. From the factory Seymour Duncan Distortions to the Seymour Duncan SH-1N in the neck and a Seymour Duncan TB-14 in the Bridge. Although I prefer the Distortions the other two are in value worth the same. Buying used, you just don't know sometimes.

Comment

Well, if it originally came with a JB, you did good. lol

Comment

Anybody put a Floyd Upgrades brass block in one of these? If so, what size fits? I am diggin' the SoCal I just got in a trade. Great the way it is but I might try a block upgrade. Thanks.
                            Last edited by triplehold; 12-09-2015, 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That bridge was changed an so where he pickups. I bet whoever you purchased it from swapped out those parts from another guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X