Stratheads..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratheads..

I don't know anything (but am getting interested) about C/J stratheads. Is there a thread anywhere about what the specs and differences between USA, MIJ, MIM, So-cal, Pro-mod, style 1,2,.., ones with/without pickguards, etc?? I couldn't point to any and tell what is what but would like a crash course if it's there..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Probably not a single thread, no. I don't know that anyone has documented differences side by side. I know when they moved production from USA to elsewhere for these models my interest in them dropped to nil.

Anyway - summation:

USA production had three base models:
    San Dimas Style 1 2 hum - basic Strat shape, top mounted Floyd and Duncan pickups
    San Dimas Style 2 2 hum - Tele shaped body with same features as the Style 1
    SoCal - Strat with a pickguard with Dimarzio pickups
    Duncan pickups were JB bridge and 59 neck
    Dimarzio pickuos were Tone Zone bridge and Breed neck.

There were a variety of colors offered, each run featured a difference color for each model with all always available in black. And they also offered a "Wild Card" which was Spec'd slightly differently. There was a Trans Amber with HSS, a Fiesta Red with 1 hum and rosewood board, they did a yellow on black two hum flame up and a more rare blue realistic flame graphic as well. Unless someone collected them, best bet is to google Charvel production model images.

Japan production model summation:
    Followed the same practices as USA but dropped the Style 2 Tele and they officially became ProMods. Necks featured a yellow tint to the oil finish and more prominently rolled shoulders on the fretboard though that is less a design change than just the way that factory did it.

MIJ models dropped the pickup rings on the San Dimas model

They continued with the wild cards and offered some flame top versions, hardtails and at least one with a single EMG and silver over black flames and matching headstock.

Mexican Promods -
    Dropped the yellow tint on the neck, added recessed Floyds and hardtail rosewood board models as standard. Had at least two special models so far - silver sparkle SoCal and yellow sparkle San Dimas.

This is far from comprehensive. Just a brain dump from what i remember
    Last edited by Grandturk; 05-13-2015, 08:22 AM.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Great information Grandturk thank you very much.
      Rich

Comment

Awesome! Thanks GT! That'll definitely get me started.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
        X