Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIM Hardtail dimensions

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I have a 2013 Charvel San Dimas hardtail. I am wondering what the dimensions are for the Charvel Hardtail? I'd like to slap in a Gotoh Hardtail if it's an exact fit.

If it's not an exact fit I think I would just upgrade to the Gotoh saddles.

?? Well, since you've got the hardtail... get a ruler or tape measure.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've had my hardtail for a while, just swapping out the stock saddles to the Graph Tec graphite ones is excellent mod. The string tone seems a little brighter, more focused, for sure seems to have more sustain and strings don't break no matter how much I bend them. I was so impressed with them that I put a set on my Charvel Model 1A too; great mod & worth checking out. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
        I've had my hardtail for a while, just swapping out the stock saddles to the Graph Tec graphite ones is excellent mod. The string tone seems a little brighter, more focused, for sure seems to have more sustain and strings don't break no matter how much I bend them. I was so impressed with them that I put a set on my Charvel Model 1A too; great mod & worth checking out. Good luck
        Great suggestion!

Looks like the Gotoh is a direct fit. I may purchase that instead because the baseplate and saddles are made of brass, Which is a good thing for tone.

Comment

Originally posted by d4rin View Post
          Great suggestion!

Looks like the Gotoh is a direct fit. I may purchase that instead because the baseplate and saddles are made of brass, Which is a good thing for tone.
          No arguments here, brass is good. Where can you get the Gotoh? Got any links?

Comment

No arguments here, brass is good. Where can you get the Gotoh? Got any links?
            http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...il_Bridge.html

Or you can try ebay, Should be cheaper.

Comment

Check out http://www.stewmac.com

Should be a good upgrade from the stock bridge. If it's made in Japan, You know it's good!

Comment

So I guess you figured out what the dimensions were of your Charvel's hardtail?

Comment

Yes I did, Surprisingly they're the same exact specs.

Comment

Looking at that Gotoh bridge, exact same dims as the stock Charvel, some MIJ's used some Gotoh stuff for years. So, wouldn't be much of a surprise if the MIM Hardtail's didn't have the Gotoh's on them from the factory; maybe not brass, but Gotoh has the tooling, Mexico might not. OEM deals are global.

To me, looks like the exact same as what's on mine now too. Here's a pic of mine, picked up the body without the neck, put on a nice old Model 1 maple on it. Its got an alnico 8 magnet custom humbucker and some Malmsteen single coil in the neck. Finished it with the graphite saddles and she's done folks. Guitar sounds bright, clear, it sustains like a hotrod forever.

When the frets wear out, its going back with stainless!

Comment

Looking at that Gotoh bridge, exact same dims as the stock Charvel, some MIJ's used some Gotoh stuff for years. So, wouldn't be much of a surprise if the MIM Hardtail's didn't have the Gotoh's on them from the factory; maybe not brass, but Gotoh has the tooling, Mexico might not. OEM deals are global.

To me, looks like the exact same as what's on mine now too. Here's a pic of mine, picked up the body without the neck, put on a nice old Model 1 maple on it. Its got an alnico 8 magnet custom humbucker and some Malmsteen single coil in the neck. Finished it with the graphite saddles and she's done folks. Guitar sounds bright, clear, it sustains like a hotrod forever.

When the frets wear out, its going back with stainless!
                      I am pretty sure you are right about that!

I think what I have on my 2013 Charvel HS is a cheaper version of the Gotoh Hardtail. I doubt it's a Japanese brass one on a Mexican guitar.

Think I'm going to get the Gotoh in chrome, My guitar is black but I think a chrome one will look nice on it. And I'm going to switch out the volume put to an Alpha split-shaft put to put a Fender knob on it as well (Also going to change the location of the volume knob).

Your guitar looks pretty sweet by the way

Comment

Yes I did, Surprisingly they're the same exact specs.
                        Cool. That's good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          ?? Well, since you've got the hardtail... get a ruler or tape measure.

Oh snap!

Also jspeed, excellent mutt! Been thinking about doing the same with my rosewood board '86 model 4 neck! Either white or now the slime green!

Comment

I am pretty sure you are right about that!

I think what I have on my 2013 Charvel HS is a cheaper version of the Gotoh Hardtail. I doubt it's a Japanese brass one on a Mexican guitar.

Think I'm going to get the Gotoh in chrome, My guitar is black but I think a chrome one will look nice on it. And I'm going to switch out the volume put to an Alpha split-shaft put to put a Fender knob on it as well (Also going to change the location of the volume knob).

Your guitar looks pretty sweet by the way
                            Thanks, its a fun axe to play and gets a lot of studio use.

Let us know when you get the brass gotoh and what differences you hear with it.

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                              Oh snap!

Also jspeed, excellent mutt! Been thinking about doing the same with my rosewood board '86 model 4 neck! Either white or now the slime green!
                              Thanks, always wanted a Charvel hardtail, those MIM bodies show up on ebay a lot.
                              The Promod necks are awesome, was going to wait until one showed up and get it; but the Model series neck just fit the pocket perfect.
                              I'm sure a Model 4 would be an excellent custom build too, there's something magical about those old necks.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X