Tuners on the MIM Pro Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuners on the MIM Pro Mods

I have a bone to pick with Charvel for their choice of tuners on the MIM Pro Mods. Let me preface this by saying that I have four of them and love the playability, overall quality etc. In fact, the only issue I have is their choice of tuners. The two pronged tuners they are NOW using are proprietary to Charvel. I cannot find a direct replacement for them. I just ordered some Fender tuners with the two prong configuration thinking they would line up. No dice as the holes for the prongs did not line up. Why would Charvel go and do this? Why wouldn't they just stick with the tuners they were using previously. I can't imagine there is a big cost savings.
    Be forewarned that if you are looking to switch out your hardware to say chrome that you will need to either hunt ebay for someone parting out chrome hardware from a MIM Promod or drill new holes for whatever tuners you use. Pisses me off that they did this. Kills the spirit of personalization.
    Good deals with:
    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Pics? What do these look like?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Pity, the old Japanese/USA Pro Mod Grovers were a direct swap fit for Schaller 505a's.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Has it come down to bitching about which tuners they use?????
        So they have a prong on the back that is no big deal, if you want to change tuners just use regular tuners of your choice and drill the one tiny hole for the tab screw.
        You can just pull the prongs out of the tuners if you want they are just pushed in there. Maybe one prong will fit in at least one existing hole.
        Hell if it has a floyd on it the tuners really make no difference other than to tune to pitch before you lock the nut down.
        Last edited by straycat; 02-06-2015, 05:18 PM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          Has it come down to bitching about which tuners they use?????
          So they have a prong on the back that is no big deal, if you want to change tuners just use regular tuners of your choice and drill the one tiny hole for the tab screw.
          You can just pull the prongs out of the tuners if you want they are just pushed in there. Maybe one prong will fit in at least one existing hole.
          Hell if it has a floyd on it the tuners really make no difference other than to tune to pitch before you lock the nut down.
          Yes it has. I really would rather not have to drill additional holes in the back of my headstock when it could have been so easily avoided. Either it wasn't very well thought out or it's just Charvel being cheap in my opinion.
          Good deals with:
          Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Not going to complain, because I just hated how the prior Grovers looked. Kidney bean Les Paul tuners on a Strathead. That just looked all kinds of wrong. Especially on a Charvel.

At least the MIM ones look like Gotoh or Schallers for the tuner buttons. And, without a screw tab, I can't imagine a mod will be too difficult to add one there. It's only an improvement, if you're adding something higher quality tuner, anyway.

Besides, have you considered using Hipshots with the UMP mounting plate? Quality stuff, by all accounts. And no drilling necessary to mount them.

Comment

Thanks Shreddermon. I'll look into the Hipshots.
              Good deals with:
              Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

they sure look like the ones that have come on Ibanez guitars for decades
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Ibanez-...item5b0c549cf8

Comment

if I remember right same holes that come on Hamer slammers
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamer-Califo...item418fe8f8d9

Comment

What's wrong with the tuners may I ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                      What's wrong with the tuners may I ask?
                      I want to replace them with chrome tuners. Doing a complete hardware changeout.
                      Good deals with:
                      Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

these might wrong
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-IBANEZ-JS2...item259f975861

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                          Not going to complain, because I just hated how the prior Grovers looked. Kidney bean Les Paul tuners on a Strathead. That just looked all kinds of wrong. Especially on a Charvel.

At least the MIM ones look like Gotoh or Schallers for the tuner buttons. And, without a screw tab, I can't imagine a mod will be too difficult to add one there. It's only an improvement, if you're adding something higher quality tuner, anyway.
                          Damn, and I thought the kidney beans looked good.

Comment

They look great on a Les Paul. Look way out of place on a Charvel strathead. Like a peanut butter and ham sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                              Those look like they should work Rich. Thanks!
                              Good deals with:
                              Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Working...
                              X