Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about configuration

Ok ,
    So the Newer model Pro Mod's come in a few different configurations. Also compared to the older MIJ models , they have changed a bit.
    In the MIJ models you could get a top mounted floyd Rose and direct mounted pickups in the San Dimas.
    In the MIJ So Cal you got a Top mounted Floyd with Dimarzio Pickups.
    Now in the MIM San Dimas it's recessed with the same Pickups but Trim ring mounted instead of Direct
    And the So cal gets Recessed Floyd with Duncan Distortions.

So my question to all of you is which configuration do you prefer and why? Why is the biggest part of this question as I'm not a fan of the Top mounted Floyd and I don't like the look of the Direct mounted Humbuckers.
    What are the advantages of Direct mounted vs Trim ring Mounted?
    Why would you want a Top mount Floyd over a Recessed?

I strongly prefer the non-recessed trem because it raises the string height off the body and keeps my right hand from hitting the volume knob. Also they are cooler.

Builders generally prefer recessed trems because everything is a bit more square that way, as opposed to non-recessed where everything is slightly cocked. Those short non-angled stock J/C pup rings tend to be unsatisfactory on nr trem guitars because the bridge pup sits down too low and is cocked backwards from the strings.

Pull-up range is about the same if the neck angle is set generously enough.

Comment

My favorite guitar has a non recessed trem, a JT6. It is also my favorite trem guitar. Is it my favorite because it is a non recessed or a jt6 or is it just a coincidence?
      Every imported recessed Jackson I own, they give me problems with hitting the volume knobs. Some of them have stiffer moving knobs, so its not a problem with the volume changing. Recessed Ibanez guitars do not give me that problem.

I like pickup rings.

Comment

A freind had a Yamaha neck though with the trem arm hitting the volume pot, so filed the bottom of the knob down a few mm and shortened the shaft too, now its all clear. 15 mins well spent.
        7 Charvels and a load of other stuff.

Comment

I have both top mounts and recessed in my collection. I dont notice any issues with either its all about control.
          Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Comment

Mantis,

If you have the chance to get your hands on one of the MIJ Pro-Mods you'll be glad you did.
            The USA ones are awesome too, but they just cost a couple hundred bucks more.

Comment

I went with the MIJ because I prefer to have the strings higher off the body (for more picking room), and I also like the look of the wood-mount pickups.

The bridge still has plenty of float and I don't find a real difference in trem motion (though I don't really do huge pullups ever).

The wood-mount pups look cleaner to me, but I do find that the pickups sit pretty high and I almost wish I could lower them a bit.

I figure I can always route the body for ring-mounted pups if it ever becomes an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                Mantis,

If you have the chance to get your hands on one of the MIJ Pro-Mods you'll be glad you did.
                The USA ones are awesome too, but they just cost a couple hundred bucks more.
                I played a few of the 2012 models So cal and San Dimas and walked away without owning one. Right now Sam Ash has a 2012 San Dimas Maple fret board and 59 TB4 setup. It's on mad sale for $549.99 with case. I haven't replayed it but If it rocks I'll take it home. It's setup the way I don't like top mounted Floyd and Direct Mounted Pickups. The neck isn't as light as the new ones are it has a finish on it.

Comment

Originally posted by darkshark View Post
                  I went with the MIJ because I prefer to have the strings higher off the body (for more picking room), and I also like the look of the wood-mount pickups.

The bridge still has plenty of float and I don't find a real difference in trem motion (though I don't really do huge pullups ever).

The wood-mount pups look cleaner to me, but I do find that the pickups sit pretty high and I almost wish I could lower them a bit.

I figure I can always route the body for ring-mounted pups if it ever becomes an issue.
                  I hate the way the pick ups look direct mounted and mounted Floyd for that exact reason. They are so high out of the body. I'm so use to recessed Floyd's and much lower pickups with trim rings.

Comment

Originally posted by darkshark View Post

I hear ya.
                    Got a bunch of Charvels and for me the MIJ ProMod San Dimas is right up there with the best of the best.
                    Awesome fret work, neck profile, nice wood tone, great SD pup combo, even the "cheap" Floyd stays in tune no matter how wild I get with it. I'm looking for an SoCal now.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                      I played a few of the 2012 models So cal and San Dimas and walked away without owning one. Right now Sam Ash has a 2012 San Dimas Maple fret board and 59 TB4 setup. It's on mad sale for $549.99 with case. I haven't replayed it but If it rocks I'll take it home. It's setup the way I don't like top mounted Floyd and Direct Mounted Pickups. The neck isn't as light as the new ones are it has a finish on it.
                      That sounds like a good deal, you just gotta play it and see if its a nice one. Most of the Gakki Charvels are excellent, every once in a whilt you'll find a dud, kinda rare tho. The red one above is a 2010, got it in 2011 brand new from sam ash, one of the best guitars I've owned and I got one of these bad boys too, but everyone is different right?

Comment

Love my MIJ Wild Card #7 but hate the direct mount pickup because you can't adjust it lower so I had to cut material off the pickup bracket to lower it a few mm's now it's perfect. definitely like recessed tremolo best. had many top mount Floyd's that weren't floating or too high like my 92' Floyd rose classic strat.
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        2010 Charvel Wild Card #7 Primer Scream /2009 Jackson DKMG /2012 Charvel Desolution DS-1FR
                        1993 Stratocaster Ultra / 2006 Fender Stratocaster 60th Anniversary Deluxe LSR / 2011 Fender MIM Blacktop Modified / 2012 Gibson Les Paul Axcess / 1985 Kramer Focus 1000 / 1984 Aria Pro RS / 2007 Ibanez Prestige 1570

Comment

I think its a shame that they went recessed with the MIM. It just doesn't do it for me. They "sold out" with that route. No pun intended.

Comment

Working...
                          X