Who makes good replacement necks for Charvel Model 1/1A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes good replacement necks for Charvel Model 1/1A

Have a model 1a but the neck is in trouble. The fretboard is separating from the neck at the nut causing buzz and fretting out. Where can I find a decent replacement neck? Could be rosewood or maple. Also would a mim fender fit on the body of a model 1? Any ideas/info appreciated!
    thanks!!

Personally I would opt for a repair instead of replacement. It should be a rather easy fix and I'm sure if you hit up some of the more experienced members here they could recommend the best method.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

charvels have 2 1/4 inch necks at the heel. fenders are smaller and will have a gap. see if you reglue the fretboard otherwise look on ebay for a replacement.

Comment

I've already reglued the fb and braced it tight but it seems there may be a bit of height that's causing the problems. I'm not equipped to completely remove and reglue and the closest luthier is about 2 hrs away. Do u think the cost of repair would be less than a new replacement, say from Warmoth or another company?
        Thanks for the replies!!

Comment

What type of glue did you use that it's lifting again then? Replacing a neck is fairly straight forward, but one thing it will never be if you do is original. If the closest guy is two hours away (not that far really) you may want to consider some of the talented folks on here that could do it and do it right. I doubt the cost would be as much as a replacement, even with shipping.
          In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I used wood glue. I'm no expert but have used it to repair headstocks in the past with great success. U R right about it being original as I really like the feel of this neck and could not be sure about the quality, feel or fit of a replacement. Who on these forums would be a good recommendation for a repair?
            Thanks again guys!!

Comment

Wood glue tends to expand so it sounds like you didn't get it clamped tight enough.
              I would watch ebay for a replacement.
              Sully may be able to fix it for you just ask him.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Sully has moved more towards his own customs, I believe. His site indicates that he would recommend people go to Mike Learn for repair work.

Personally, having had a neck go bad myself, I'd look at either USA Custom Guitars or Musikraft. Both do quality work and you can choose damned near any options you'd like.

Comment

Working...
                X