Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any love for the Charvel DX-1 FR Soloist guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any love for the Charvel DX-1 FR Soloist guitar?

i did a search on the forum and read some comments about the charvel desolation guitars in general (star, etc) and the *apparent consensus they are not that great. yet, on paper (or internet) the specs look pretty good... mahogany body, 12" to 16" compound radius, oiled neck, etc. does anyone own a charvel dx-1 desolation soloist? do you like it? maybe compare it to a japan-made soloist 3 or model 6? i have the latter two and i'm assuming they better just because they're made in japan, but never played a desolation dx-1 so this is just conjecture. also, any views in general about them being made in china (views not based on conjecture, but personally experience playing charvels made in china)?

lately on ebay there are stripped charvel dx-1 fr soloist bodies for sale that usually end up being pretty inexpensive. i'm wondering if it's worth it to get in on the bidding of one of those.

thanks in advance!

I've played several of them, and I think they're great guitars, especially at that price point. There was one instance when I compared the Soloist to a DK1 Nebula and the Charvel played better. My friend confirmed this too. But the question, which is probably bugging most of us, is; Would I play a Charvel that looks like it was built to satisfy Schecter and ESP LTD Deluxe kids?

No thanks!

Comment

I'm sticking with MIJ axes over these. I recently picked up a 2006/7 Sam Ash SL2H (it really should be called an AT Soloist XL or something similar). I think the MIJ axes used better woods and materials.

And I agree that the looks are a bit too flashy for me. I prefer the more traditional styling.

Comment

thanks. yeah... i see the esp/ltd influence. i never thought it about that--the look that is. now i can't get that outta my head!
        Last edited by moku; 12-17-2013, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Never buy online. Always get it in your hands first. Touch it. Feel it.

I own a desolation ds2.
          I have no complaints. Of course, it wasn't a $2k guitar, so i don't expect it to compare.

The real question with cheap models is how long will they last.
          Last edited by pianoguyy; 12-17-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

DS2's are really nice guitars I had one. Found the nut was a bit narrow for my taste.Great neck tho'.
            Willcutt Guitars has a couple of nice Charvel neck thrus.

My GC has the Jackson quilt top sunburst neck thru floyd soloist and aside from the fret ends hanging out it looks like a decent guitar for the money.
            Made in China but it may be a fine guitar.
            They have a made in India Jackson Scott Ian ATL soloist I would love to have but the price hasn't come down yet.
            It looks to be made just a bit better that the MIC soloist.
            Last edited by straycat; 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I tried out a Desolation Star and it felt pretty decent. Nothing about it wowed me but i was generally impressed by how well-built it was considering the price. The neck felt like it could use a little more fine sanding and maybe a couple more coats of oil but if you're willing to do that then go for it. I've been debating with myself on whether or not i should pick up a DST-3 FR and mod the living shit out of it.
              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                They have a made in India Jackson Scott Ian ATL soloist I would love to have but the price hasn't come down yet.
                I'm waiting on the price to drop too. Want one of those pretty bad..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

ideally i'd buy guitars that i can actually try out but realistically, where i live the guitar stores suck... gc doesn't carry anything. there was one small store that had decent stuff but it closed down. and another store that sells parkers only basically. so i can't try one out.
                  thanks for the inputs on the general feel of the guitar. i'll probably get a stripped down dx-1 and put parts on it that i like.

Comment

Do the DX Soloists have smaller fretwire? I don't have one, just a SK3 Skatecaster. The specs on my Sk3 say jumbo frets, but they look smaller than the Charvel/Jacksons that I'm used to.

I measured :
                    Charvel ProMod USA......1.40 mm high
                    2.97 mm wide

Charvel SK3.................1.16 mm high
                    2.77 mm wide

In all fairness, the action on my skatecaster is also lower than I like. So when I say something feels "off" about it, I'm not sure what to blame.
                    Last edited by Grawnday; 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X