Model 3A experts needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3A experts needed.

A couple years ago I got the 3A. It appears to be stock, with Jackson pickup covers, etc. I've played it a bunch of times, but it never sounded very good, so I ignored it as I had other guitars to play.

Anyway I tried playing it again, and it seems that something has to be off in either the wiring, or even the pickup. It is a very lifeless and dull sounding bridge position. My DK2 with a GFS Power Rail sounds sharper. I'm wondering if maybe it was altered, so maybe you guys can help narrow it down.

For starters the switch is 5 way. Is that how 3As came? I haven't pulled the pickups (H-H) yet, so don't know exactly what is in there. I can post a direct clip for you guys to plug into your VSTs (or even with amp modeling applied), and post wiring pics. Anyway, just tell me what you need to me look at and verify, so we can figure why this guitar sounds so "blah"

OK, thanks for anyone who wants to sort out this mystery.
    Just a guitar player...

3A came stock with five way switch. The pickups should be J80C models.

Comment

Pickups in the Model 3 are not as hot as the Model 4 or 6. They were probably ceramic magnet hot output rock pickups, but the model 3 got a more vintage type bridge pickup. It's a more jingly jangly type sound going on, if you want 80's rock or similar, you would have to replace the bridge pickup.

Comment

Darren that's about a close description of the sound. There's this weird jangliness to it just like you say. I guess it's time to replace it. What Jackson humbuckers give a more traditional metal tone? Output doesn't matter, but the tonal shape is. Thanks!
        Just a guitar player...

Comment

The 3A should have a J-80C in bridge and neck. It should be a high output distortion 'style' pickup. If output seems low it could be a wiring problem because the J-80C in my Model 5 always had tons of oomph, even with the JE-1200 rolled all the way off. If it seems jangly it sound like it might be split. Check around the 5 way super switch to make sure there isn't sloppy wiring or a solder bridge where the pickups connect.

Wiring diagram on the bottom right corner of the scan here...

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...8Page16_17.jpg
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

OK I solved one problem. The previous owner had placed this half assed switch tip that didn't allow the switch to go all the way to the outer position. It was on the #2 position sound. Now with the switch all the way to 100% bridge #1 position, it now has that thick HB tone.

However, the bridge is almost half the volume of the neck pickup. I have to crank both inputs on Amplitube 3 standalone just to get the level to just below the red. My stock DK2M need no such gain boost. Any ideas why the 3A bridge pickup is low in level?
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

Model 3's had the J80 or J90. Seem to be more vintage than 80's rock. The Model 4 and 6 had the J50BC which was out right rock.

I still think it's a lower output bridge pickup than you are looking for.

Comment

I had the same problem but the screws in mine were too big so I had to cut a notch with a hack saw. Bastards!!
                “On Ecstasy, Joan Rivers looks like Pamela Anderson, so imagine what Pamela Anderson looked like.”

Comment

Working...
                X