Model 2 brought back from the dead/String Lock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 brought back from the dead/String Lock Question

I have a Model 2 that I just brought back to life. I've had the body and neck for years and I finally had the time to put it back together. I picked the body up cheap because the seller had sold it and the neck was snapped in shipping so he parted it out. I installed a model 4 neck (I love the sharkies), a Shaller Floyd, and a Bill Lawrence XL500L pickup. This thing is SICK. I have a few other model guitars ('86 Model 2, '86 Model 3 and '87 Model 4) and this blows them away. I've heard good and bad about the Bill Lawrence USA pickup but it sounds insane. What surprised me the most was how clean it sounds when you roll back the volume knob.

Here is my question. The string lock bends the G B & E strings at a weird angle. None of my other guitars have this issue. The B string actually hits the lock screw that holds it down (see pic). It however does hold tune very well after locking the strings down. I was thinking about just removing the string lock and installing some grover locking tuners that I have. I'm concerned about the angle of the high E though at the nut. Will this be an issue? Or am I trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist lol.

Thanks,
    Sol

Here's my Model 2 for comparison's sake

Comment

Sol,

Once you lock down the nut, there is no more issue. The string is clamped down from where it leaves the lock to the nut. Any weird angles or interferance between the nut and the tuners don't matter.

I have BL USA pickups in a 1995 RR1 lightning sky and they do sound good.

Comment

That's just the way Jacksons with Kahler string locks (or the Jackson knock-off version) are. It doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of tuning stability or string life.

Locking tuners aren't a viable replacement for a locknut on a guitar that doesn't have straight string pull. Believe me, I'd love to convert all my Jacksons with the Kahler string lock that way, but it just doesn't work.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. It was the B string that was bent around the head of the screw that was bugging me the most. But since I haven't had to tune it since I locked the strings I guess it's not really an issue This Schaller trem is awesome. No comparison to the stock Jackson. I've been pulling sharps and dive-bombing TRYING to make it go out of tune and it's rock solid.

-Sol

Comment

Not an issue they all do that. I like the after the nut string lock system.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X