NGD: Charvel 750xl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Charvel 750xl

I couldn't resist. Got this on eBay a couple weeks ago...I think from someone who's a member here, but I'm not sure. Let's get right to the pics:

Interestingly, a previous owner swapped the stock pickups for a J90C in the bridge and a J50BC in the neck. The J50BC is atrocious in the neck and will be gone soon, but the J90C sounds fantastic in the bridge--it's what Jackson should have used there in the first place, instead of the J80C. I think that would have eliminated a lot of the tone complaints that I've seen people make about the 750xl and Soloist AT Pro.

The only thing that sucks is that I didn't get the original case with it. The seller included a silver Charvel chainsaw case, which sort of fits if you add some padding inside, but I'd like to get a proper fitting case. The problem is that the 750xl has a body that's the same thickness as a Les Paul (about 1/2" thicker than a Soloist), and the regular J/C cases are too shallow to fit, since it has a non-recessed trem. I guess I'll either have to use a gig bag or get a custom case. That's one advantage of the AT Pro--since the body is the regular Soloist thickness, you can use most Soloist/Dinky cases with it.

sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

Cool. Wasn't mine I still have it, and it's a string thru.

Comment

Sweet!! aren`t they 24.75 scale as well? How are the necks on those? My Jackson Fusion HH neck is too thin for me and going up for sale soon. I wish it had a thicker neck.

Comment

Congratulations! It seems all the nice 750XL went to America :p

Also can someone verify the fret size? my 750XL seems to have slightly smaller/flatter frets than modern Jacksons such as the DKMG I borrowed this weekend, which I think is equipped with 'jumbo' frets.
          1989 Charvel 650XL, ADA MP-1, Lexicon MX200, BBE 362NR Sonic Maximizer, Marshall EL-34 50/50, Marshall Mode Four MF400A

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
            Sweet!! aren`t they 24.75 scale as well? How are the necks on those? My Jackson Fusion HH neck is too thin for me and going up for sale soon. I wish it had a thicker neck.
            Jack,

They are a little thicker but not by too much. I go to this guitar when my 50s necked Gibsons (thinner USA, not Historic baseball bats) are seeming too fat for me.

I think your best bet to get a short scale fat neck may be a historic Gibson. If you look long an hard, you might get a plaintop R8 for $2K.

Comment

Originally posted by ShredC650XL View Post
              Congratulations! It seems all the nice 750XL went to America :p

Also can someone verify the fret size? my 750XL seems to have slightly smaller/flatter frets than modern Jacksons such as the DKMG I borrowed this weekend, which I think is equipped with 'jumbo' frets.
              750XL's were made in 1989. I'm pretty sure they were played a lot, and the frets had been work and crowned a few times. Compare the 750XL's frets to a heavily played DKMG from 1989.

, you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                Fusions have about the thinnest necks Jackson ever produced. That's why my Fusion Pro doesn't get a lot of play time anymore, even though it sounds and plays great. And yes, the 750xl has a 24.75" scale, as does the Jackson Soloist Archtop Pro that succeeded the 750xl in the lineup in 1990-91. The 750 and AT Pro have necks that are usually just slightly thicker than your average Soloist, and with a slightly rounder profile. Most of them feel like a Gibson 1960 profile, in my opinion, though maybe just slightly thicker.

Originally posted by ShredC650XL View Post
                They have the standard fretwire that the import J/Cs had in the late '80s and early '90s. As far as I know, that's the same fretwire that the Japanese Jacksons had right up until the end.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I prefer thicker C neck profiles on necks. I really like the Gibson 1959 neck profile like on the LP Standard and Explorer.

Comment

Working...
                  X