Finally got a 750XL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a 750XL!

Hello fellow JCF members, I'd like to share with you my new acquisition, a 1989 Charvel 750XL

After searching for a few years I finally got my hands on one, and it happens to be the same colour as my beloved 650XL, although it's not mahogany-bodied I still like the sound of it and the playability is top notch.

Here are some pictures:

http://postimg.org/image/lh74de3ox/

http://postimg.org/image/ock7k97ox/

http://postimg.org/image/wqzu8c8q9/

http://postimg.org/image/4feabaott/

http://postimg.org/image/dxe1bcai9/

I find the stock pickups a bit inadequate and lacking in output, can anyone recommend a good set of pickups for it? I am a fan of the Seymour Duncan Full Shred set as I have used these pickups in an Alder-bodied Jackson Warrior I used to play and was happy with the sound. Would it suit a basswood body? I don't really want to put EMGs since my other guitar, a 650XL in the last picture is equipped with those pickups.
    1989 Charvel 650XL, ADA MP-1, Lexicon MX200, BBE 362NR Sonic Maximizer, Marshall EL-34 50/50, Marshall Mode Four MF400A

She's a beauty!
    Congrats.

Comment

Comment

Ohhh, I think I was watching that on ebay.
        Nice guitar, too much cash for me though.

Comment

Nice i almost ended up with an xl...but went for a fusion instead,
          Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Comment

Congrats! I just got another 750xl myself (thread coming soon). I've never owned one of the solid-finish ones with the basswood body, but the Jackson J90C that a previous owner installed in the bridge position of mine sounds great. The J90C seems to have the right EQ profile for this guitar, and it's hard to figure out why Jackson didn't just put those in it in the first place, instead of the J80C.

Alternatively, I'll bet a Duncan Custom would sound good in that guitar. The Full Shred might be a little too bright for it, since it has that thick maple cap.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
              Congrats! I just got another 750xl myself (thread coming soon). I've never owned one of the solid-finish ones with the basswood body, but the Jackson J90C that a previous owner installed in the bridge position of mine sounds great. The J90C seems to have the right EQ profile for this guitar, and it's hard to figure out why Jackson didn't just put those in it in the first place, instead of the J80C.

Alternatively, I'll bet a Duncan Custom would sound good in that guitar. The Full Shred might be a little too bright for it, since it has that thick maple cap.
              Cool! I suspect my bridge PU is faulty or the magnets have become weaker after nearly 25 years. I have no problems with the neck one though, and was planning to swap the bridge PU first with a Full Shred or Duncan Distortion after hearing one in a similar bodied Ibanez. However, I wouldn't mind trying a Duncan Custom.
              1989 Charvel 650XL, ADA MP-1, Lexicon MX200, BBE 362NR Sonic Maximizer, Marshall EL-34 50/50, Marshall Mode Four MF400A

Comment

I love this color!

Comment

Adjust the bridge pick up and see how the guitar reacts before you swap them for something else.
                  Those may be J-50's in there now or a J-50N and J80 BC.Great sounding pick ups IMO and just as good as a Duncan any day.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I tried the J50B, J80C and J90C in my model 6. I think the J90C is my favorite. The J80C is very similar but with a little less output, really nice too. The J50B has less output than the others and a tighter low end. It's cool but it didn't match my amp/guitar like the J80C and J90C.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                      The Full Shred might be a little too bright for it, since it has that thick maple cap.
                      Do the painted 750's have a maple cap?

My 750XL sounds great with the Full Shred set (plenty of beef), but it is a string thru / mahogany model.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Do the painted 750's have a maple cap?
                        nope. nada.
                        >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
                          nope. nada.
                          Are you sure about that? The pictures I've seen of a stripped 750 look like it did have a maple cap.

Comment

Originally posted by ShredC650XL View Post
                            However, I wouldn't mind trying a Duncan Custom.
                            Never a bad idea!
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              Adjust the bridge pick up and see how the guitar reacts before you swap them for something else.
                              Those may be J-50's in there now or a J-50N and J80 BC.Great sounding pick ups IMO and just as good as a Duncan any day.
                              +1

I did that last night and the notes seem to ring better after a 2mm raise. I also removed the plastic covers which for some reason was stuck on with double-sided tape. The bridge PU had the label J80C and the neck one on the neck says J50.

Comment

Working...
                              X