NGD - Charvel LS-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Charvel LS-1

I bought this odd-ball on eBay last week and it arrived today. It was an impulse buy but it seems like a quality made guitar, but it needs thorough cleaning.

It has the "Gumby" headstock similar to the Surfcasters from the same time frame ('93-'95?). Access to the upper frets is a little tough due to the set-neck, but other than that it's a keeper.

I was watching that one, just not in the budget right now. How does it compare to other Charvel/Jackson models you've played?

Comment

I haven't really had a chance to play it much yet. But I think it seems as well made as my other Charvels (two model 6s, 750XL, Legend, Fusion custom, Surfcaster HT) but it has a much more Les Paul kind of vibe about it; it's 25.5" scale though. The binding and fretwork are great, and the inlaid "Charvel" is cool. The neck seems just a little chunkier but also a little narrower than the 750XL as an example. It's got a nice feel to it, though. It seems a lot more resonant acoustically than the others, except maybe the Surfcaster. Probably a combination of the fixed bridge, string through, mahogany body, and set-neck. The pickups sound good from what little I've played it (J-50M in the neck and J-92C in the bridge per the 1993 catalog scan I found). The LS-1 seems kind of rare, but I saw another one pop up today on eBay. Not sure I would pay what the guy is asking, though. I got mine for quite a bit less.

Comment

Thanks, I haven't had the chance to play one of these so I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

I remember those. Nice score!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Very cool score! I still miss my LSX-III that I stupidly traded away long ago- same shape, but a bolt-on flat-top version.

I just love the way it felt & played. Haven't seen one on the Bay for the last several years that I've been looking.
            I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

Originally posted by SignoftheDragon View Post
              Very cool score! I still miss my LSX-III that I stupidly traded away long ago- same shape, but a bolt-on flat-top version.

I just love the way it felt & played. Haven't seen one on the Bay for the last several years that I've been looking.
              Ive got one of those. I like it a lot too. Unfortunately someone added pickup rings to it and that kinda bugs me. Ive never seen another one in person. Mine is the wilkinson hardtail version. Its a cool guitar.

Comment

Working...
              X