Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD DS-1 ST My Charvel family is growing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD DS-1 ST My Charvel family is growing..

A while back I traded for an ESP that I was never really able to bond with so I put it on CL and just waited around to see what bit. Last weekend, a guy offered me this DS-1 ST and some cash to go with it so I figured what the hell and took him up on it.
    It's not a bad guitar, plays really well. The Blackouts are a little odd, but they ARE better than the EMGs that were in the ESP.
    Here's some pics of my kids with the new addition..

Prosecutors will be violated...

Congrats!

The Blackouts are different than the EMGs, I wouldn't say they are better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
      Congrats!

The Blackouts are different than the EMGs, I wouldn't say they are better.
      Yeah, the jury is still out on that for sure.. so far, I like em better, but they have a lot more gain than I'm use to..

Comment

The Blackouts do have massive output, but the nice thing about them is they maintain their tone when you back off the volume. I usually roll the volume off a bit while playing rhythm and then use it like a boost pedal for leads by just turning up all the way.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

When were the DS1's produced? That is a nice collection!! Always loved HRFs.

Comment

Very Nice!
            *Kramer Focus 4000 "V" 85' with OFR \m/
            *Kramer Focus 1000 85' with OFR \m/
            *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/
            Randall RG100ES (88') Gray Carpet "THE METAL MONSTER" \m/
            *Ampeg VH140C HEAD....O.M.G. METAL HEAVEN! \m/
            *ADA MP-1 (3.666 RECTO/SOLDANO) MOD* \m/
            *Digitech RP-1 "THE ORIGINAL" \m/
            *Morley Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah \m/

​*LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L!" \m/

Comment

Nice group there. I will always covet your purple San Dimas.

Comment

I have been thinking about picking up one of those Ds-1's to use for some alternate tunings
                1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Grawnday View Post
                  Nice group there. I will always covet your purple San Dimas.
                  She's my pride and joy, even though I don't play her as much as I use to, mainly because of the weight. She has a sound and character all her own..

Originally posted by booger007 View Post
                  I have been thinking about picking up one of those Ds-1's to use for some alternate tunings
                  It's a decent guitar. I would never actually buy one new because of where they are made, it is a good player. The neck profile is a bit different from my other Charvels, but no so much that it's uncomfortable..

Comment

I am always watching the bay to try to pick up a used one
                    1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Comment

How does the DS-1 compare to the Epiphone Les Paul? Mostly interested in the differences in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by pat6969 View Post
                        How does the DS-1 compare to the Epiphone Les Paul? Mostly interested in the differences in the neck.
                        Worlds apart neck wise. The neck on the Charvel, is thinner and faster. I've never been a huge fan of the finished necks on the LPs. Tone is worlds apart as well, but that's not a fair comparison since I have duncans in my LP. The charvel is more suited for metal with the blackouts. Even on a clean channel it has a certain amount of distortion to it, throw it on the overdrive channel and it sounds like a buzzsaw.

Comment

I just got my DS-1 today. What a sweet guitar. Not sure why it is not liked. To me, they obviously found someone in China that builds as good as they do in Japan. Grover tuners, big pots, Blackouts, awesome fit and finish and plays like a dream. I haven't found a flaw yet, and this is out of the box!!!

I'm sure when guitars started being built in Japan guys were saying the same thing they are now about the Chinese guitars. Maybe in 20 years these will be as sought after!! LOL!!.

Pat

Comment

Congrats, nice guitar.
                            Seems like forever since you have been around.

Comment

Working...
                            X