So what did I just buy?;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what did I just buy?;)

So, I've been looking for a Predator/3DR in my pricerange for some time now, as they're kind of hard to come by over here in Scandinavia.
    I found this one on Ebay, sent the guy an offer after looking at the description and pics - and I got it..
    But..after looking at the pics (stupid me..), I realized something wasn't right..(But i really don't care, got it for what I consider cheap, and I'd probably have to pay that price alone only for the neck in other ebay-auctions)

So, I payed for this sucker, (I'm the sucker here, by the looks of things..), and I'm thinking to myself..Reverse headstock, tootpaste logo; 3DR - right? But after looking at the pics I realize that there's a JT-6-trem on it..But then again, the trem route looks wrong for the JT-6, and the trem looks wrong for the cavity - with the paint-chipping and all..
    So, did somebody put a JT-6 in what should really be a Schaller-equipped guitar? Is this a 3DR with a JT-6 installed, or a Predator/3DR-mutt?

And does anybody have a clue as to what kind of pickups are in that thing? (To me, the neck pickup seem to have a red logo on it..) Any ideas?

Thanks guys - and I wish you all a great weekend!

Morten P.
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Sorry, link to the ebay-auction here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181030719169...84.m1497.l2649
    Last edited by MortenP; 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

A 3DR is older and would have the guitar logo, not the contemporary/toothpaste logo. What you have looks like a Predator with a swapped trem; it should have a Schaller.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Are there any differences in the bodies on the 3dr vs pred?

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
          Are there any differences in the bodies on the 3dr vs pred?
          I don't believe the 3DR had a recessed trem or the neck heel scallop, but I may be wrong.

That trem just looks plain wrong. Someone likely kept the better JT-590 before trading it in.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            I don't believe the 3DR had a recessed trem or the neck heel scallop, but I may be wrong.

That trem just looks plain wrong. Someone likely kept the better JT-590 before trading it in.
            I was thinking the same thing concerning the routes.. But do the pickups look familiar to any of you? The pics are crappy, but might that be a Lace sensor in the neck? Any ideas on the humbucker?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing concerning the routes.. But do the pickups look familiar to any of you? The pics are crappy, but might that be a Lace sensor in the neck? Any ideas on the humbucker?
              PAF Pro? Evo? Some sort of DiMarzio with black allen heads. Not an SD because the bobbins are flat black, not common at all with SD pickups, but very common with DiMarzios.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                PAF Pro? Evo? Some sort of DiMarzio with black allen heads. Not an SD because the bobbins are flat black, not common at all with SD pickups, but very common with DiMarzios.
                To me, it looks like one of the coils on the humbucker has hex heads, and the other has allen heads, but I've not found anything that matches..

Comment

To me, it looks like one of the coils on the humbucker has hex heads, and the other has allen heads, but I've not found anything that matches..
                  What is the difference between hex and allen heads?

If one side is allen heads, and the other is traditional pole pieces, it might be an SD screamin demon.

Comment

The bridge humbucker looks to have a row of pole pieces or screw heads and a row of allen screws, like a Screamin Demon but it is missing the 2 little holes that Seymour Duncan puts at the one end of each bobbins. If it is a double row of allen heads it could be a Wilkinson pickup. They look like that, they're cheap but they don't sound that bad. You'll just have to pull it out when you get it and investigate.
                    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

The smaller script logo screams 1989 so a transition thing maybe but yes a JT-590 would be the correct trem not the JT-6.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The Pred is in the mail, and on it's way!
                        I've had a couple of JT-6'es on my guitars, and since this clearly is wrong for the Pred, then I'm gonna go ahead and get a new trem..
                        Not sure if I have the cash for a Schaller, OFR or Gotoh at the moment, but does anybody have an opinion on what trem to get?
                        Are there noticable differences in the "mid-price-range"-trems? Like Floyd Rose Special, Mighty Mite or the GFS one?

Comment

does anybody have an opinion on what trem to get?
                          I know a certain person who has an opinion on everything. I'm sure he won't pass up this opertunity to stop by.

My opinion is to keep it original since the JT-590 is a great trem, but my opinion will quickly be squashed when said person stops by.

Comment

Working...
                          X